Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

Most of these fellas aren’t long out of being dragged around by their aul lads with a choc ice in their gobs at matches

Cian Lynch played U-21 vs Clare in 2014 after his English paper one.

It was the beginning of the Lory Meagher and other secondary hurling competitions which saw the minor semis moved around 2006. There was definitely a couple of ulster teams hurling before the Clare cork semi.

It was a good initiative and should have been continued with but Kristy Kooney wanted the cork minor hurlers to get their day in Croker

Slight difference playing a 17 year old in a 21 game in fairness as opposed to the playing a game with the majority of the squad will have exams.

Well that is complete and utter horse shit.

Fellas like you were sold a pup that the split season was about the club players.

The split season only happened so the gaa could impose these horrendous formats.

I mean sweet suffering Jesus mayo and Kerry used to be a big game. I’d the radio on there and I wasn’t sure if it was ladies football they were playing.

1 Like

For tier two counties under 21 is absolutely pivotal in keeping the game going.

The gaa have absolutely destroyed this.

How long ago are we talking here? Leinster minor hurling semi-finals were usually played in late June following the completion of the Leaving Cert. Since 2000 onwards anyway.

1 Like

I never ever remembered Leinster minor semi finals in may.

The minor finals used to be before the senior finals which would be the middle of July.

The split season nutters can’t even admit it’s utterly stupid playing a load of games in exam season.

I can’t recall any Munster minor game being played after the first week of may. I thought there was rule in place.

They’d play the semi finals in late June.

Yeah the minor hurling championships ran concurrently to the senior really. Similar calendar. College exams were usually concluded before the U21 hurling really clicked into action too. I was always on my summer holidays from college when the Leinster championship got going.

1 Like

Kerry Mayo and Galway Tyrone on now and neither on the tellybox. What an absolute fucking shambles this system is

7 Likes

The behind closed doors championship is going swimmingly for the nutters.

1 Like

Correct. A few lads are trying to rewrite history as opposed to criticising their overlords in croke park.

Wikipedia says the the inaugural Christy Ring Cup final of 2005 was played on August 14th between Westmeath and Down which would have been before the Cork v Clare semi-final.

2006 was Antrim v Westmeath played on August 6th before the Cork v Waterford semi-final.

2007 was Westmeath v Kildare played on August 5th, which must have preceded the Kilkenny v Wexford semi-final and the Waterford v Cork quarter-final replay, making an exceedingly attractive triple header.

2008 was Carlow v Westmeath, played on August 3rd. I’m pretty sure there was a football qualifier double header on that day - Kildare v Fermanagh followed by Kerry v Monaghan.

By 2009 the final had been moved forward to Saturday July 11th and by 2011 to Saturday June 4th.

Wikipedia says the inaugural Rackard Cup final was played between London and Louth and August 21st, 2005, which would have been before the Galway v Kilkenny senior semi-final.

By 2007 the Armagh v Roscommon final had been moved to being the curtain raiser for the Dublin v Derry All-Ireland football quarter-final (I remember this one actually).

By 2009 this too had moved to July and by 2011 to early June.

Third weekend in a row the prime time slot on a Saturday evening has been filled by rugby on Rte 2 while what were once massive gaa games were being played.

Next week we’ll have Munster v sharks too.

The split season has been a huge success for the resurgence in rugby.

2 Likes

25 years + :weary:

1 Like

I don’t care what anybody says it’s a crime Tony Kelly was ever put behind a paywall.

2 Likes

I remember Cork been knocked out of Munster minor hurling championship in early May numerous times with the seniors following a month later. No big complaints about promotion of the game that time.

By 2006 the two All-Ireland minor hurling semi-finals had returned to Croke Park preceding the two senior semi-finals.

In 2007 the Dublin minor hurlers were shunted down to Portlaoise on a Saturday lunchtime but the other semi-final was in Croke Park.

From 2008 on the two minor semi-finals were before the senior semi-finals in Croke Park.

On another thread there is a Tyrone supporter asking what pub in Dublin will be showing Galway v Tyrone, which is behind a paywall, and is clashing directly with the Heineken Cup final involving Leinster.

I was tempted to answer, “your phone, if you want to pay 79 quid.”

1 Like