Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

It’s long finished as a pastime pal.

Waterford are opting for the same as last year. No hurling in the prime months of June or July. An 11 week gap between Waterford exiting the Championship in mid May and the County Championships getting underway at the end of July. A 6 week mini blitz then with Junior, Intermediate and Senior Finals the weekend of 9/10 September.

The dates and venues for the upcoming Group games in the Senior Hurling and new Premier Intermediate Hurling Championships were announced last week and it was confirmed that due to the ongoing work in Walsh Park the St. Mollerans club grounds in Carrickbeg and the SETU Arena in Carriganore will host senior games fixed in the Eastern division.

The Senior Hurling group games will commence on w/e 29th/30th July and will be completed by Sunday 13th August after which date the knockout championship, involving all twelve senior teams, will begin week in week out up to the final stages.

Youd have had a years dodgy box subscription with gaago for the price of the actual gaago subscription. Mugs.

The gaa are some shambles with their coverage tho. Let the county boards show their own games if the cunts wont put it on gaago

1 Like

Your as well just tune in for the last 10 minutes tbf just like the NBA.I don’t offer agree with Parkinson but we need 3 designated forwards who have to stay inside the 45 would help.

Is it next Sunday when they clear the schedule completely to show the Taste of Dublin semi-finals double header live from Croker? Jesuits swept.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/clerkin_d/status/1670111799411130368?t=FMhIk2_engA31l4VqcgFoA&s=19

Even company man Dick realises its turned into a farce.

2 Likes

I’m watching The Saturday Game for the first time. Cavan-Down has a pitch opening feel to it & why wouldn’t it? A diddy game in a diddy competition. I shake my head in resignation at the GAA’s self-sabotage of their championship.

2 Likes

I’d say the combined attendance for the 2x Sam Maguire games today hardly broke 10k.

Looked like a decent atmosphere for the Down Cavan game. Down are coming.

Limerick-Laois was played behind closed doors with no supporters present. Crowd noise appeared to be piped into the ground.

1 Like

@Bandage you need to decouple the structure argument from the split season argument.

3 Likes

@peddlerscross, please take this one.

2 Likes

Wumming only gets you so far I suppose

This is where the zealots get confused.

The only way to justify gifting 7 months of the year to Inter County is to make them play loads and loads of pointless round robin games. This structure is only there thanks to the split season.

You couldn’t have I/C teams lying idle for 3 week intervals without pressure coming on to release them back to their clubs.

3 Likes

It’s totally bewildering. I feel like having a good cry about the situation. They’ve ruined something that was central to Irish life.

4 Likes

Any lad not in the 26 is being released back to their clubs lad.Are you a member of a club yourself?

It’s one of the greatest instances of cultural vandalism seen in any modern western civilisation. It’s genuinely upsetting

2 Likes

Nothing is sacred anymore

What’s that got to do with anything?

Your talking about a handful of players in a handful of Counties. The first 26 dont see their clubs for months on end.

The current structure just couldnt work without a split season and the 2002-2017 formats would be very threadbare in this 7 month Inter County window.

So we are left with this sorry mess which saw Donegal v Monaghan (which used to be a big game) reduced to a McKenna Cup level crowd and a repeat of last years AI Quarter Final between Clare and Derry reduced to an utter farce in front of a few hundred spectators tonight.

1 Like

I’d be all for going back to straight KO.Theres away too many meaningless games now.Plus the football is rubbish to watch especially in Ulster.15 v 15 basketball ball.Theyd be as well have a blitz with 2 halves of 10 minutes and run it off over a weekend.

1 Like