Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

Always with the scenarios this one

Meath 1991 and Tyrone 2005 played 10 games over the season and both were dumped out of the championship by Laois the next year. That says it all about how much these sort of seasons can destroy players.

1 Like

Totally agree,I’d be all for going back to straight KO.Its never going to happen though.££££££££

1 Like

I saw the Derry team bus pass down the road here at 11am Saturday morning, with their game on at 1.45pm Sunday. I know some players who retired and said it was being away for full weekends that was the worst part of being involved in the intercounty scene - seems completely pointless and counterproductive for Derry to set off so early but I presume the various background team members want the endless presentations on gameplans. It’s that type stuff rather than the physical toll that has lads looking relieved when they are eliminated.

4 Likes

With the women looking for expenses now for their matches that no one cares about it looks like the GAA will have to expand the championships even more.

They got over 200,000 into the 10 Munster hurling games. They’ll have to play home & away so that Bridie Gallagher, no.28 on the Cavan camogie team can get her €0.40 to the mile fuel expenses.

That and stadiums like GG and SS needing refurbishment means the inter county games are going nowhere no matter what opinion you have.

14 Likes

:rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

In about 5 years nobody will attend the round robin games.

:joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

@endakenny is right though this mooted amalgamation of the Ladies and Men’s Gaelic Games bodies is going to be a total disaster

1 Like

An unaffordable disaster.

I did mate. Football has been shite in general for last 10 years with exception of Dublin, Kerry and Mayo.

1 Like

Decent discussion on it in newstalk paper review Sunday…one fella on it made the v valid point clubs are bursting at seams already for pitch space before giving ladies teams as much access…albeit in the club where my kids are they are catered for equally with the men already

He’s a caveman so.

What an irrelevant point.

This is actually real.

The colour pieces with players are essential. It’s such an Irish thing to not speak to the media incase we offend the opposition. Fuck off like.

1 Like

I disagree. These colour pieces with players the week of a match are almost always boring as shit. They are no loss.

5 Likes

They are now.

But they weren’t 25 years ago.

Liam Dunne had some crackers over the years.

1 Like

No summer back in the day was complete without an “ah shure” interview with Mick Lyons or Liam Harnan taking a break from baling hay to talk to Gaelic Stadium the day before a tense Dublin-Meath Leinster final.

Lyons would have a grey wooly jumper with the sleeves rolled up and his ample arms folded.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/JohnFogartyIrl/status/1676884951592058886?t=KHsHEI33FVcHzQgFiQJ2XQ&s=19

Mick Lyons worked in hardware shop back in those days did he not?

Harnan was/is a farmer.