Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

Move the AIF to today

I must say I done some laughing when John Duggan said the all Ireland final day experience isnā€™t the same as all he done was slugged back pints waiting for Limerick v Kilkenny to start.

Moving the finals back today would be another huge error lads.

Fellas pointed this out two years ago.

The inter county season takes too long and thereā€™s too many games.

Once you gave them December to July it was going to totally fuck the clubs.

Championship starting in april is too early. No IC training before December 27th will be a good shout. Scrap the league semis, go straight final. Scrap the preliminary QFs, provincial runner up vs 3rd ppace in QF. 3 week build up to final, 2 weeks later than current. Im in favour of the split season but some changes are required. Clubs are sufferimg with players abroad so start the last week of August and push county finals back 2 weeks.

2 Likes

What is your solution ???

I think the all Ireland hurling final should be on this weekend with the football in two weeks time. Job done imo.

1 Like

The job being done means all the clubs will fold I presume ??

Can you please tell me:

1. When would you play all Ireland hurling final?

Listen it was an absolutely idiotic idea to let the county teams have from December to July.

Thatā€™s the long and short of it.

The ever expanding the inter county is a disaster but once these things are out of a box itā€™s hard to put them bang in.

September.

Iā€™d even prefer a club season from January to august.

Start a straight knockout round bye county championship in the middle of august. Finals October bank holiday.

Nationwide club finals weekend on the august bank holiday.

Club championships need 14 weeks and county managers wonā€™t allow games so unfortunately we will never have that again.

Tell the county managers to fuck off.

Iā€™d like to but itā€™s not possible.

That horse bolted about 10 years ago.

It certainly bolted when the mad idea that having a split season would benefit the club player and then gave the inter count managers the first 9 months of the season.

They wont roll back the round robin in hurling, it works, football is a disaster of a system. As i said you can easily cut 2 weeks out of the current calendar but OC teams will be training in Dec/Jan minus club provisional players. All but 4 teams will be gone by july. Its clear there is no point in staring club championship until the second last weekend in August. Split season is working but there are tweaks needed in hurling. As i said rip up the football championship and start again.

I dunno how you can say the split season is working when you say rip football.

Hurling championship wasnā€™t that great this year either.

Starting the club championships season in august is deeply unfair on the club players.

Iā€™m nearly coming around to the idea of inter county players not playing to be honest.

Where do the beloved AIB ā€œThe Toughestā€ club provincial and All-Ireland championships factor into all of this? Theyā€™re one of the jewels in the crown tbh.

They wouldnā€™t be for me. I find the senior ones particularly off putting. Usually a handful of super clubs competing.

Iā€™d agree that the senior hurling has becoming boring enough with the perennial meetings between Ballygunnar and Ballyhale but the Intermediate and Junior grades are usually exciting and all football grades usually have plenty of drama to offer.

1 Like

This too shall pass. They are unbelievable competitions and should be celebrated in November, December and January.

Sunday evenings on the high stool watching provincial club championships are where itā€™s at.

5 Likes

Going to those games is even better.

You get a serious class of person in attendance.

1 Like