Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

I was persecuted for sticking my head above the parapet but it looks like I’ll be vindicated yet again.

Hurling is in huge bother.

1 Like

In Tipp currently they are trying to run off U21 Hurling & Football + U17 Football competitions concurrently. Running them off as a box ticking exercise.

It should be just U21 Hurling which is an amazing competition, but thanks to these split season zealots no Under 17/21 football could be played off from January to June.

I’ve given this a bit if thought.

The GAA is a cod really.

I think we should all embrace soccer with its simpler competition structure and global reach. Makes much more sense.

We should forget about the hurling and football.

Under 21 was always run off in an ad hoc nature. You could be waiting for months in between games and then end up playing three in 8 days.

A good article by LS but he conveniently forgets to mention there are county leagues (badly organised I know), senior divisional championships and divisonal junior leagues that provide plenty games for non elite players. He also forgets to mention that football is played in Tipp also. However he won’t let the truth getting in the way of his narrative.

4 Likes

They’ve really destroyed the under 17 and under
19 development at a lot of clubs.

If you have county players they are gone basically until post exams which means trying to keep the standard at training is very difficult. It’s easier/temping for parents to pull players to post exams and numbers are done at training regardless which is never good.

Bar the super clubs it’s really hindering the run of the mill young club player.

The split season is really the elite season. It’s about money, the super clubs and the powerful counties. It stands for everything the gaa shouldn’t.

What team are you involved with in KP? They seem to be managing it very well & have players on most underage intercounty underage teams.

K/p is one of the biggest clubs in the county now with a young population.

Also the hurling isn’t going that well. From 15s to 20s football is well on top and the senior hurling team are losing two of their best hurlers next year too.

two small villages, they aren’t even in the top 10. Also, they are within the catchment area for a lot of good soccer and rugby clubs being so close to the town pulling away from them. K/P are stronger than they have been for years at all levels down to hard work and doing things right, not population.

It’s a massive club know.

what’s the playing membership?

On of the better competitions in Clare over the years used to be the under 21s championship. It would start paddies day - straight knockout and finish up by the May weekend.

Just to dovetail very nicely with the schedule as colleges and third level games would be all but finished up and exams not started and adult league would start in April. As it was the only show in town and knockout there would solid enough crowds at these games too.

Meant lads who start training for 21s in January and if teams went well lads were more inclined to stay with adult teams as momentum carried through. But with I/C underage now taking this slot it has been moved to the end of the year and little interest and relevancy.

2 Likes

There’s absolutely nobody gone playing soccer or rugby that Would be a hurler.

They only joined up ten years ago maybe underage at times a little before that.

Both soccer clubs struggled massively and have joined up last season or this season as one club called dromore in.

There is housing estates in both Pallas and kildimo now so there’s a lot of new people in the area which has befitted the gaa club massively.

No doubt one of the better positioned clubs for the time being.

It was the opposite in Limerick. When it was in the autumn it was a tremendous competition with big crowds and good games.

It moved to the spring because they felt pitches would be in better conditions so they swapped with football but it struggled with rugby and soccer taking from it. It never had the same gusto to it.

what’s the playing membership?

No Clue but two adult hurling And football teams. Only club that were senior a in hurling and football this year along with nap I’d say.

Decent numbers at all underage grades currently and I think it’s the 6s/8s and 10s do training together and you wouldn’t be far off a 100 kids running about.

It’s a rip roaring success for two rural clubs joining together but it’s also one of biggest clubs about now.

Not every club is as fortunate and those clubs shouldn’t be forgotten about. Lads seem to only look at their own club and not what’s happening around the country.

fin

2 Likes

You don’t think k/p is one of the biggest clubs in the county?

Pallaskenry is nearly a town now. There is any number of little housing estates gone up in Pallaskenry along with a decent size secondary school.

I was a lot of Under 21 hurling County Finals pre split season that were played the week of Christmas or in the New Year. It has always been run off after senior finished

And it was absolutely fantastic. Often the bond created at under 21 level went on to backbone successful adult teams.

1 Like