Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

But they werent running it off alongside an U21 and U17 football championship.

Who gives a fuck about football? Traditional powerhouses at Under 21 hurling do not

1 Like

No. I donā€™t at all. By any metric you wish to choose, although you donā€™t know the membership so are just guessing

Its an unnecessary distraction at this time of year.

The Under 21 football championship used be great in Tipp when run from March to May. The whole year would be pregnant with possibility.

Got lads involved in the club early in the year when there was nothing else on. Gave everyone a focus. Now thereā€™s just no focus or motivation for anything until July as clubs limp away until, go tobann, they are already out of the championship by mid August.

You must live in the hills. What would the ten clubs do you think would be bigger?

Membership is huge in a lot clubs now because If you arenā€™t a member you canā€™t get all Ireland tickets. I think itā€™s up 40 percent county wide since 2018.

Evidently more people give a fuck about football because football is becoming more and more popular while hurling is played by less and less.

Its a pity Sheedy didnā€™t directly refer to the number of Rosenborg situations developing.

Its clear heā€™s been reading TFK.

1 Like

name who you think theyā€™re bigger than, youā€™re making the claimā€¦ where exactly do they sit, in your opinion

In an ideal world Iā€™d conjure up a system whereby each month would have:

1 inter county hurling and football game
1 club hurling and football game
Such dreams are dependant on county managers releasing players for almost 50% of the time which is never a runner.

Sheedy famously stopped Tipperary clubs playing a second game in April during his time as Tipp manager. As an inter county manager he has been directly responsible for this drive to professionalism and there is no way back.

On club structures, itā€™s not realistic for Tipperary to play groups greater than 4 unless we get rid of the divisions. His own club have benefited greatly from North championships so unless he wants to end that there arenā€™t enough weekends, as @Fat_Pox states, he forgets to even mention Football which takes a minimum of 6 weekends to play.

The BIG solution is that county boards need to properly incentivise county leagues.
Both Sheedy and Darragh Oā€™Donovan say there are no games yet scoff county leagues that have huge potential to be very competitive competitions with a bit of effort like a monetary prize or possibly a home game in the championship for winning your league.
Cross border leagues and competitions also.

My own idea of a nationwide 7 a side competition on the May bank holiday followed by a national championship on the June bank holiday weekend could be epic. Involve some local businesses, charities and like the rubby have a female competition also. The Spa 7s in Killarney is the prototype.

3 Likes

Monaleen, Mungret, nap and Newcastle west Iā€™d assume are the biggest.

So basically you agree with me.

He also forgot to mention the West Junior B league which is box office. So Box office that youā€™d teams from the South and Mid looking to get involved in previous years

1 Like

The split season is THE only solution.

Counties need to incentivise County leagues in the first half of the year.
Kerry, Clare and Cork seem to have very strong county leagues. In Tipperary, Limerick, Kilkenny and many other counties itā€™s treated on more or less the same level as challenges.

2 Likes

At adult level the senior inter county stuff takes up way too much of the calendar.

I know next to nobody thinks the last couple of hurling and football championships have been enjoyable from a neutral point of view.

There is absolutely no need of that season to take up 8 months of the season. Itā€™s putting way too much pressure on the club season. All itā€™s done is lead to more Rosenbourg situations.

Play the club championship from march to august.

Play inter county championship from late august to mid October.

1 Like

Inter county teams being picked off club games would be box office. It would bring savage attention to the
Club game too.

Would you get rid of the provincial and all Ireland club championships ?

Well Iā€™d keep them before basically all inter county games bar championship but there is only so much in the calendar.

I wonā€™t lie they donā€™t really capture my imagination like other people.

The hurling is becoming a little boring.

So youā€™d get rid of them?
That would be ludicrous.

I would prefer better run county championships than the mad dash to run them off.