Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

Pardon my ignorance here but what is/are “Rosenbourg situatiuons”?

The likes of ballygunnar and other clubs racking up huge sequences of county championship wins.

I believe @peddlerscross has a list compiled of current and potential rosenbourg situations on another thread.

1 Like

Is disagree with you on this.

Also, do you think the likes of Davy Fitzgerald or Jim McGuinness would not train club players during this period, like saying a cat wouldn’t drink milk.

Each to their own on this.

I think we can at least agree the inter county season is too long.

Paddy’s day is our national day and its connection now to our three national games is basically zero bar one.

Why don’t we start the inter county championships on paddies day with a few big hurling clashes? Absolutely everyone would know the day it would start. Something like thanksgiving football.

They are nearly treated as worse than challenges in the sense that, if a challenge is arranged, there is a clear want for it and an effort to get as many involved as possible. League games get seen as a hinderence and you almost plan for certain ones not going ahead.

Didnt tipp always run off the u21s hurling oct to dec pre split season?

Yes but as I have mentioned earlier it worked better then as it didn’t have U21 and U17 Football running alongside it.

The failure to use February to July for some Club Underage Activity in the U17/U19/21 categories is absolutely mental stuff.

Yes but teams and squads have an eco system. There is invariably so many players missing there just isn’t a cut to it and everything builds towards championship.

Championship is so far into the year now it makes it even more irrelevant.

As someone who is involved with an u21 team I can confirm it is the same that it always was.

It’s ran off using a knockout format (same as it usually was), Lose the first round and it’s a hindrance/waste of time but for the other teams it snowballs into a brilliant winter of knockout games with huge crowds to hearten the winter.

It’s a great competition that keeps lots of lads involved in the club.

Tipperary will be continuing with u17/19/21 which means u21 has got to be knockout.

2 Likes

I think the GAA season should be taken to be 24 months and not 12. That would solve a lot of problems.

2 Likes

Its traditionally been a 15 month season and that’s the way it should always be.

Entry to the provincial championship, 1997 Champions League rule change style.

How many ypung fellas would be playing both under 17s football and 21s hurlimg? I would see an issue if both hurlimg championships were run at the same time. Even without split season its hard to decouple for dual players

I would say most rural clubs have three or four 17 year old’s overlapping between grades.

The question goes back to why some of these underage competitions cant be played in the first 6 months of the year? Why?

:grinning::grinning: your some spoofer

I recall times pre split season where the under 21 hurling would start sometime around Paddies Day and might not resume again until October.

1 Like

How?

Yes that did happen way back and was stupid too, but from around 2012-2019 it found its home in the calendar from October to Christmas.

Padraig o Mahoney getting plenty of stick for his double split season opinion.

Everyone looks at what’s best for themselves. very few look at what’s good for the greater good.

I remember the 90s where club and county were regularly out of championship in early June. Hurling still survived though.