Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

I can’t think of any format that would change poor attendances. I wonder what the average attendance was for galway Clare and Kerry playing at home in knock out qualifiers?

Ennis was pretty much packed for the visit of Mayo in the 2017 qualifiers.

1 Like

3 rounds of games where no one gets knocked out certainly won’t help attendances

7 Likes

Competition, local rivalry, jeopardy and trophies on the line are what generate attendances.

Munster hurling has all four. The football round robins have 0/4.

4 Likes

24k in kilarney for Kerry v Tyrone in a qualifier.

That fucking idiot Colm Parkinson wants to abolish them for more round robins.

That’s because mayo were playing. I’m looking for an average

1 Like

You came out with a crazy statement.

It’s one of the worst formats of any sport I’ve ever seen.

It’s absolutely horrendous.

Whats the solution? Straight knock out and less championship games for teams? I can’t see that happening. The sport at inter county level just isn’t that popular outside a handfil of counties. It’s really that simple and people just need to get used to it.

Nearly every sport I can think of plays league format leading into knock outs
Rugby union, AFL, rugby league, baseball, basketball, nfl, champions league

We already had a league.

Abolish Division 1, abolish this pox of a championship format, concentrate on provincial structures and put every measure humanly possible in place to equalise competition - including re-scheduling the season so club championships take place at the same time as the inter-county championships, thereby disrupting the better teams’ military like preparation.

Your posts here read like those of somebody who is actively out to destroy the football championship.

So it’s basically each team plays ten league games then knock outs. The provincials are the outlier but a lot of people want to keep them and they provide more cups to win for teams.

You’ve come out with strange posts here.

The format and is horrendous and you suggested it couldn’t be better.

I don’t get your angle here at all.

Your solutions sound good in your head but wouldn’t work for a myriad of reasons. This format is the best well get. Amazingly enough as it isn’t great. The sport just is not popular at inter county level. If it was counties playing their only championship game of the season at home would get bigger crowds. The qualifier crowds were generally just as shit.

I’ve yet to see a better workable format that would be anyway popular

the last format was better and more interesting.

1 Like

It wasn’t. People were absolutely sick shit of it. And there was such a clamour to change that they eventually did

You keep repeating these dumb slogans like a mantra. The football championship has traditionally comfortably beaten the hurling championship in terms of attendances.

No there wasn’t.