Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

I’d assume Kerry don’t give a fuck and probably swapping for all Ireland tickets with hurling counties so don’t want to upset the apple tart.

They can get funding elsewhere. Hoover up favours and tickets from hurling counties in Munster, give the odd pat on the head to the west Clare lads and they cream themselves for another year. Cute hoors

They also don’t own Fitzgerald park I think

1 Like

If the split season was the big factor you say it is Cork would not be attracting such huge crowds. Last day of Premier League season yesterday yet you would hardly know it was on. Cork are the poster boy for split season. Huge crowds at Cork games followed by a thriving club scene.

I d say they made it behind the scenes and knew they d be pushing a closed door

with home and away arrangements between Cork, Tipp and Limerick and it not really been a logical venue for any final that would involve Clare and\or Waterford, it just doesnt wash. Fuck all seats there too

Now having said all that a munster hurling final it would make a fantastic occasion! would capture the imagination

how de fuck did the cork v clare munster final end up in killarney in 1986?

The Killimer-Tarbert ferry must have had a bumper day that day.

How could crowds be bigger when matches are sold out?

The genesis for change happened that day, it left a mark

Crowds come because the Munster hurling championship is fiercely competitive with real jeopardy and involves traditional rivalries, not because of the split season.

Cork v Limerick would have attracted 35-40k had it been played in January.

Clare were heading to win that match until a veteran JBM and a youthful up and coming goal sniper John Fitzgibbon struck for typical JBM and John Fitzgibbon goals

1 Like

Waterford fair enough, but Ennis to Killarney and Ennis to Cork are more or less the same distance.

Capacity would be the major issue. It’s at least 6k less than the big three, with far less seating so you can’t charge stand pricing. The €€€€ talk.

Would be class though

In the summer time stadiums expand due to the warmer weather

3 Likes

Cork v Clare was not sold out and there were plenty of empty spaces in Thurles yesterday.

Thurles is a H&S capacity, compared to full capacity I’d imagine.

1 Like

Thurles can’t handle anymore safely. Badly needs an upgrade.

Killarney will get an upgrade before Thurles does. Watch.

Limerick is the only logical venue these days for a Munster Hurling final involving Clare v Limerick and where it should be again in 2024 if that pairing arising

Killarney makes no sense as a hurling final venue in Munster and has no real case to make for it or entitlement to it

However, as you say it would still be class! Is there any case to be made for it to be played there on some kind of promote hurling in the weakest hurling county in munster basis !!??

1 Like

If it arises it will be in Thurles.

Yeah, in thurles

1 Like

I d say empty spaces yesterday arose from lads souping down the square and not bothering tipping up to the match

Has to be. Limerick Cork capacity was capped at 42k. There seemed to be plenty of room in the terraces and there were a good few empty seats. There will always be a few no shows but it’s deffo a h&s thing

1 Like