Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

They’re looking for it, but it seems Casement Park style crazy. There aren’t the matches and potential crowds to justify it.

1 Like

you are correct

but should be in Limerick in my opinion

1 Like

Lads in Kerry can’t get their heads around that one even. It still gets gigs and all that, another white elephant.

They would need to plough as much money into hurling in the county so they can join the Munster Championship party just to justify it.

the munster football championship and all ireland round robin could be run out of austin stack park, clonmel, ennis , dungarvan, pairc ui rinn and kilmallock and you wouldnt have too many left outside the gate looking for a ticket. perhaps there is a venue other than Kilmallock in Limerick to slot in! wouldnt like to upset any hurling activity there for a day !

If Kerry were put into the Munster championship you’d have to have relegation. That would either mean Kerry would become a yo-yo team or they would have a status not afforded to other teams at their level. The other counties wouldn’t be happy with it either in the off chance Kerry actually caught one of them on a bad day.

You can’t change a county’s DNA and Kerry people just don’t care about hurling. Cork are the only county in Munster they have any sort of rivalry with. Kerry people think far more about the Dubs or Tyrone than they ever will about Limerick.

I’m sure Askeaton has had Munster football championship games in the past.

1 Like

Mick Neville Park in Rathkeale sure. You’d only be drawing @balbec’s ire having him paint 45 yard lines onto their pitch.

2 Likes

Have Limerick played any championship match in Killarney since the 71 Munster final? The last big hurling match I can remember there was a Tipp v Cork qualifier around the mid noughties

Ah yeah, thus the comment about having to throw 70 millun quid at the game down there in an attempt to convert them.

Although tbf, if they continue to run the football championship in the shambolic format it is currently in, then maybe - just maybe - you might get more of a drift towards hurling, especially considering how close they are to the epicentre of it. While they would be slaughtered if they were in the Munster Championship at the moment, it isn’t exactly a hurling wasteland either.

Either way I don’t think we’ll be seeing too many hurling games in Fitzgerald Stadium anytime soon.

2004, that’s the last one I remember too. The Kerry hurlers themselves pretty much always play in Tralee.

Teams like Kerry, Antrim and Carlow should be allowed play all their round robin games at home if allowed entry to the championship proper

1 Like

yes, played Kerry in the munster championship cin 1988 and 1989 in Killarney

hammered Kerry in 1988 and in 1989 Kerry had Limerick in bother for long spells. John Hennessy of Ballyduff got something like 3-6 for kerry and was a serious forward for Kerry back then

3 Likes

kerry is not a hurling wasteland as you say but relative to the other munster counties it is

slaughtered we would be in munster presently

Hurling just doesnt spread to new areas in kerry in any kind of a significant way

The football fraternity got bit of a shock this year though when young Luke Crowley wouldnt jack in the senior hurling with Kerry to focus on under 20 football!

1 Like

A horrible thought

2017 the last time there was a straight knock-out Munster hurling championship. Tipp played Cork in the 1st round, Tipp reigning AI champions and Cork were on their way to winning Munster - there were 30k in Thurles for it.
Cork played 3 championship games in Munster that year, all in Thurles. Turns out giving counties a couple of home games each year is good for building support, who could ever have imagined!?

There would have been 20k at cork v tipp max if it wasn’t for the phantom penalty at the end of the Limerick v cork game.

I heard it said nearly 10k tickets were sold that Saturday evening.

It highlights the rugbyesque bandwagon you have here and it can easily disappear over night.

And news just in.

Sport attracts bandwagon support.

Sports supporters are fickle.

End of bulletin.

1 Like

Big shock as knockout game gets more support than a dead rubber

If only we had more knock out games.