Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

They couldn’t have done a worse job. Structure, scheduling, promotion, broadcasting. Everything about it is an absolute shambles.

4 Likes

We’re under a bit of pressure against Tipp in the do or die final game. 9 wides already.

:clap:

They are playing 4D Chess and have set it up to fail.

The split season zealots can’t see through it though.

If they’ve set it up to fail they will be worried that the Cork County Board took the rather sensible decision to bring Donegal to Pairc Ui Rinn and thus create an atmosphere and a watchable game rather than have it in the lonely and cavernous open spaces of Pairc Ui Chaoimh.

Dublin’s 23 point victory over Cavan later on today should reaffirm the crapness of this format however.

25,000 in Nowlan Park last night. Interesting contrast that when Waterford won All Ireland under 21 final in September 2015, less than 15,000 turned up.

When Waterford won the under-21 All-Ireland against Offaly in late September 1992 28,000 turned up to Nowlan Park.

30,000 turned up when Tipp beat Offaly in Portlaoise in September 1989.

2 Likes

https://www.hoganstand.com/County/National/Article/Index/332250

Plummeting football championship attendances hit a new low on Saturday when less than 100 spectators watched the Tailteann Cup Round 3 clash between Waterford and Longford in Portlaoise.

The official attendance at Laois Hire O’Moore Park was just 75, a figure which would be easily surpassed at most club games up and down the country.

As for the match itself, Waterford put in a great shift to secure their second win of the season. Goals from Stephen Curry (two), Alan Dunwoody and Tholom Guiry propelled Paul Shankey’s men to a 4-12 to 1-16 victory over a sorry Longford who finished bottom of the group with three defeats from three.

You’d be surprised I’d say. A big crowd would travel for the novelty of Killarney at least in the first year. Tralee would be a much more natural home for the hurling though with all the clubs in a 20 minute drive from there.

There would be 10k at all the matches in the first year I reckon if Kerry played all home games. If they played away there’d be fuck all at it though.

No surprise no one gives a fuck about football in Waterford

The Newstalk Generation have spoken. The Gaelic football round robin is the new Stephen Kenny.

The problem isn’t that the system is shit. The problem is the people for not liking the system. The problem is they haven’t been fed enough propaganda. The people have no right to do wrong.

The solution is simple. Go harder. More Brexit, more of Liz Truss’s economic plan, except a purer version of it. The beatings shall continue until morale improves.

https://twitter.com/offtheball/status/1798003021395492899

1 Like

Gilroy is a cunt but he is 100pc on the money there. Sure people asking for straight knock out would have Kerry play 5 knock out games to win the championship. They now play a longer league and three knock out championship matches. If Gaelic football at inter county level was popular outside 6 or 7 counties this would be a great format. Unfortunately it’s not and no format can fix that.

There was 75 at a match this weekend

LOI is more popular in Dublin than de dubs footballers

2 Likes

The majority of counties in Ireland are Gaelic football counties.

In 2015, the Monday after the Dublin-Mayo replay on a sunny September Saturday evening, Gilroy ranted “why can’t we have this every week?”

If he had any understanding at all of the GAA or of Irish society he would not have been asking that ludicrous question. It’s like asking, “why can’t we have a World Cup every month?”

This pig of a championship is the result of years of nonsensical bleatings of eejits like Gilroy who wanted the GAA championships to be like the Premier League.

In that clip, Gilroy claimed that before this system, All-Ireland quarter-finals were shit. Did he look at the quarter-finals last year under this system?

Two were blowouts, another was a pig of a game in which the result was never really in doubt, the fourth was a dour arm wrestle to the death between two teams with no realistic hope of winning the All-Ireland.

You can’t claim winning the round robin groups matters and then claim the quarter-finals will be enhanced by that system.

If winning the round robin groups matters, then the quarter-finals will by definition suffer as spectacles because the group winners will have the bye week and face weaker, tired opposition.

In reality what has happened is that nobody is interested in the round robin and the quarter-finals have suffered as spectacles.

That clip is one of the most ignorant ramblings I’ve ever seen about championship formats. He hasn’t a clue about what the championship is or should be bar the childish la la land idea that it could be like the Premier League.

So he rants at the public for not buying his “vision”.

I’d say a League of Ireland soccer man like yourself must be just in stitches at the GAA self destruction of their Championships.

3 Likes

I still haven’t heard your better format. The old one was a dead duck. No one gave a fuck about it knowing they’d be knocked out like every year at more or less the same stage. Knock out is great but with 32 teams there are only a finite amount of knock out games you can have. After 125 years of losing you can’t convince Gaelic football fans in Longford laois Carlow Wicklow Kildare Kilkenny, Waterford, limerick, tipp, Clare, Leitrim, Sligo etc to care about county football. Bar a bandwagon gets going for a big final in croke Park once every ten years they are sick of it.

In the words of Sun Tzu (:cc of Kieran Shannon, Derek McGrath and GAA writers): Never interrupt your opponent while he is in the middle of making a mistake.

2 Likes

Keep the provincials and qualifiers. Teams beaten in rounds 1 and 2 of the qualifiers go into the Tailteann Cup. I enjoyed that system far more back in the Tommy Murphy Cup days. I love gaelic football but I’m struggling to take this current structure serious.

Make the Tailteann Cup straight knockout and play it on the same weekends as the All-Ireland series (round 3 of the qualifiers onwards). Final on the Saturday before the All-Ireland then.

Do a wee search there and you’ll find about five different better formats and calendars I’ve suggested.

You’re very big on this “people don’t care about inter-county football” line, with no evidence to back it up. People care deeply about inter-county football. Every county in Ulster has packed out Clones for an Ulster final in the last 15 years. If people didn’t care, that wouldn’t happen. What people don’t care for is lack of competitiveness and lack of hope, which you and the Newstalk Generation not only have know ideas about addressing, yis don’t even understand that it’s a problem in the first place.

You’re a genuine sports lover and would tend to see the positive on things so thats fair enough. I really feel the old qualifiers captured no ones imagination though. I don’t think crowds were particularly big and they created no particular buzz until the final knock out stages which is where we are at with the current season.
The whole aim of the current format is to link league and championship in some meaningful way and make it so all the big teams play the same amount of matches in the championship proper.
I think Kerry and Dublin getting handy draws the last two years has been a huge issue. They are the epitome of the boring Gaelic football championship and even to throw them into the Derry Armagh group might have given the illusion that they are getting a test.

1 Like