Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

I dunno but I just canā€™t see how it affects his bank balance anyway.

Iā€™d say there coining it in thanks to the split season.

Lose 2 games and you are out of Cork championship in May.

Well ye should come up with a better format.

Just looking there at rain totals in cork and looks like April and May are invariably drier than September and October.

Youā€™d have to be on a pitch to know that

2 Likes

Long term Average rain fall at cork rain station in February is 80 mls, itā€™s 85 in march and 65 in April.

August itā€™s 83, September 80 and October itā€™s 110.

So the pitch thing is largely nonsense.

You could get a flood any month of the year in Ireland unfortunately.

Last year in cork the two wettest months by a distance were September and October during the bulk of the club championship.

April and May were two of the driest months. That trend also plays out on the long term averages.

Youā€™re sounding like Tony Calvin now

1 Like

Heā€™s tried to trot out the weather line a few times.

Full list here > Transfer List

My GAA club is in the sunny south-east and our pitch was waterlogged for over a week around the time of the Easter holidays. All training had to take place indoors and league matches were postponed. That was early April.

All matches in Down called off the 2nd weekend of April this year. Our pitch was closed entirely for 10 days, for training and games, because conditions were so bad. Anyone wanting the most important club games played in them conditions doesnā€™t have much interest in the club game.

If you train hard or play hard on wet pitches in March or April you can forget bout the surface for later in the year.

Which is maybe what some lads want.

Just being able to give it a chance that time of year is a huge advantage. Down there the other night and itā€™s in great nick despite all the training and games, lovely full cover of grass so kids are able practice lifting the sliothar properly. In years gone by the pitch was abused in spring and there were bare patches and bumps in it for the entire summer no matter what you tried do to it.

1 Like

And there was games cancelled last September due to waterlogged pitches so Iā€™m not sure what point you are trying to make.

The pitches are in perfect condition now and thereā€™s no championships thanks to the split season.

It seems a lot of zealots donā€™t want club action at all.

It takes a strong groundsman and a smart fixture list to maintain the pitches to the standards they are currently in.

Weā€™re about 80 percent of the way through the hurling championship and we have had maybe one good game.

The lowest average attendances at the two finals ever.

At least weā€™ve Offaly and cork to look forward to this weekend I guess.

Just had a look 280 ml of rain last march and April.
420 last September and October in Wexford.

Itā€™s gas the lengths lads will go to before they just admit they are absolutely wrong.

Theyā€™ve destroyed the gaa inter county season and the club season for no apparent reason.

You said the pitch thing was largely nonsense but I know myself that we had matches and training called off for a 10 day period. I think that was the case in virtually every part of the country.

I canā€™t remember that bad weather last September that you speak off. Didnā€™t affect any of our games anyway. I do remember unseasonal downpour in September of 2019 alright. I can see where youā€™re coming from with some of your points on this split-season but the weather was atrocious in April this year despite what some of your rainfall measurements might say. Just ask any farmer. Stock had to be housed much later this year.

I dont like saying it, but I fear weā€™re dealing with more lies from the usual suspects here.

2 Likes

The pitch thing is complete nonsense. It could lash down any month of the year in Ireland.

But itā€™s complete nonsense because the zealots voted to not play club championships in the nicest months of the year in favour of the worst inter county championships of all time.

So you canā€™t really complain about pitch quality or tv slots when you vote for the entire club championships to be pushed into periphery of the year.

14 weeks there talking about giving the clubs. That includes dual clubs.

So 38 for the inter county sides who from what I know have no dual players anymore.

It isnā€™t a split season itā€™s a joke season.

1 Like