Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

Lols but we can’t play championship games in may, June or July.

Nobody knew what Electric Picnic was before the GAA fucked the whole thing up.

There used to be an all Ireland hurling final on the same weekend if I recalled correctly.

I’d say if you asked most general Irish sports followers who won the All-Irelands this year - particularly the football - they’d either not know or have to pause to think. Quite a few GAA people would have to pause to think.

The All-Ireland football final vanished from the nation’s collective memory as soon people hit the hay on the Sunday night. By the following morning it was all Mona McSharry, Daniel Wiffen, Ellen Walshe, Kellie Harrington and the rowers. It was the All-Ireland final that might as well have never happened, the goldfish brain All-Ireland.

The last two times the All-Ireland football final was held during the Olympics the GAA had to engineer draws with the replays to be held after the Olympics so the GAA wouldn’t lose media attention.

Not until late April at the earliest when the Munster Hurling Premier League gets going will GAA assume somewhere even approaching centre stage again. It’ll be the last weekend in June, maybe mid-July, before Gaelic football draws a crowd.

1 Like

The electric picnic will be a great cross pollination of club players thoughts and practices.

Are tv ratings figures for the finals well down since the move to July? That will surely be the acid test for advertisers etc.

No, they have been poor foe years

No club fixtures in kilkenny until next Monday due to ep

You mustn’t talk to many ordinary gaa members so. I haven’t met anyone who likes the rushed inter County season with July all Irelands.
Yes it’s great to have the club games back but there’s heaps of clubs with players in America and more sunning themselves in lanzarote, lake garda or dubrovnik.

1 Like

In fairness I assume the football championship is ran off in Kilkenny so they’ve a lot more wriggle room than many other counties but it’s a bit bizarre.

Laois and Carlow the same. Albeit the senior hurling replay is Sunday in Carlow so there will be a game. Counties like Kildare and Wicklow have full round of hurling fixtures which frees up a lot of the football only crew to go.

I was talking to a man at the weekend and he wasn’t happy with lads in his own club spending the week on the beer in Galway before a recent championship game. Other lads missing games this week coming due to EP and then trying to rearrange fixtures in a few weeks because of Coldplay.

We got onto the split season then and he says, ‘they talk about the 98%, but we must remember that north of 50% of the 98% are a shower of wasters off their heads on cocaine most weekends’ :grinning:

2 Likes

You’ll need your own TNH thread soon, it’s getting towards Joe Brolly levels

8 Likes

How do you think I made that up?

Between you thinking everyone working out foreign is an alcoholic and this I don’t know what to say.Your some buck.

I’m only quoting someone i met the other day.

From an Intermediate club that should be looking to win it, but now look to be looking over their shoulders at Junior A.

That’s surely bullshit. 1 in 2 players in my own dressing room being regular cocaine users seems very unlikely to me. I feel that problem is overstated at this stage. Although it’s hard to decipher who’s actually taking it and when.

I’d assume 95 percent of people under the age of 35 at ep are on some sort of drugs anyway.

An exaggeration across the board but I’d say there’s a lot of poor to middling intermediate teams out there where the 1 in 2 ratio is probably not too wide of the mark.

I’m mildly put out as a supporter that I won’t make the Carlow Senior Hurling Final replay on Sunday as Im on holidays. I’ll get over it though. A number of players on both sides though had holidays booked too as this was the only free weekend before football championships kick off the following week.

August is largely a holiday month and a lot of people can only go on holidays in August. September and October and even into November are time enough to be playing off all county finals. With better quality pitches all round and the effects of climate change, with weather still decent enough now well into November, pitches are not the mud baths of years gone by.

2 Likes