Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

The end of dual club player isn’t too far too away I’d say. Top four in Limerick who’ve been fairly consistent for the last decade barely have anyone playing football.

Very difficult for dual clubs to compete in this calendar. In fairness it was always tricky.

It’s a disaster forcing lads to pick one because it’ll always end up weakening both codes. One fella will be a sub and he’ll pack it in and another lad won’t pull with a manager etc etc.See adare.

Also football always tends to win out in dual clubs.

There is no easy solution.

I’d say in a few years it’ll be club and inter county championships run at the same time and ending in September.

Then a county club cup that’s straight knock out for everyone with inter county players.

A mad idea would be to run hurling inter county Jan to June and club football Jan to June and inter county football June to October and the hurling club championship.

There is no easy solution anyway. Badly need to scrap the league semi finals and finals. Space the championship games much better.

Hurling desperately needs Wexford, Offaly and Galway to shake things up.

Not sure how likely those counties are to compete in the next few years.

Nicky mostly copied and pasted the arguments former poster @Sidney was making in February 2017.

It’s good that the round robin will be abolished in the football.

If the four point goal is approved in the football it’s surely only a matter of time before hurling does the same as the great Ken Early suggested the day after this year’s All-Ireland hurling final.

1 Like

What’s the new football system proposed instead of the round robin? Hard to improve on perfection

The absurdity of playing All Ireland Quarter Finals and Semi Finals at lunchtime and mid afternoon on a Saturday will never cease to amaze me.

That Clare v Kilkenny Semi Final might as well not have been played for all it will be remembered.

Likewise the Dublin v Galway Football Quarter Final. There was more people watching Tay Tay across the city.

Cyril Farrell has been very consistent in his disdain for the whole mess too.

2 Likes

Just looked it up there.

‘The new system proposes a final 16 of contenders divided into winners and losers’ groups. On the winners’ side of the draw (Round 2A), the four victors would enter the All-Ireland quarter-finals with the four beaten Round 2A counties meeting the winners of the last 16 losers’ round (Round 2B) in preliminary quarter-finals.’

I genuinely think that’s worse. The good of the other was that over time it would bed in that the perennial Sam counties had one home game a year and MAYBE eventually people would start going. Now it will go back to most of the counties having no home match. The likes of louth or Westmeath used to get three matches to test and improve themselves. Now it’s one and done in the proper championship.
Less matches and get it over quicker though which seems to be what everyone wants to get back quickly to the clubs. The county game is dead as a dodonail

It seems the GAA have just cogged the new proposed format for the All-Ireland football championship from this post.

Hello MUFFINS in Croke Park.

2 Likes

Can I shock you? I like it again. I think one change should be seeds 1 - 4 should be provincial champs and the next 4 from league positions. Next 4 can be provincial finalists.

I was at a match last week Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. I love the split season. Nicky English talking through his arse.

3 Likes

The lads on this thread will ignore what the Clifford’s say but take pisshead Roy Curtis’s views as gospel.

3 Likes

I didn’t realise you were such a big test cricket fan.

3 Likes

Matches on every night of the week now because there was nothing of significance played Club wise from January to July.

2 Likes

There was never anything of significance played from January to June at club level

Ahhhh you had to bite

It gives them purpose

There was
Regularly excellent club championship games played in April and may where all the inter county players aren’t crippled

You always hear lads going on about those April games alright

Yes there was. Particularly underage.

Tipp are trying to run off U17, U19, U21 and Adult Hurling and Football Championships from July to December and its a disaster.

Previously the U16, U18 and U21 Football Championships would have been wrapped up by mid May allowing for some breathing room during the second half of the year.

We have a farcical situation this week with a West u19 A Hurling final tomorrow night and the winners play a County Semi Final, Thursday night.

Another team in the B won a West Hurling Final last Wednesday, played a Football Semi Final Friday, played an U17 Final yesterday and an u19 County Semi this Wednesday coming.

A huge crossover between both age groups.

1 Like

You’re dealing with two chaps who haven’t a notion though.

Sure the lads know full they destroyed they just can’t admit they are wrong.

Players aren’t committed to it and clubs will really start to struggle to get management teams going forward.

It was beautiful when you’d games spaced properly and were able to continue to live your life while playing but they wanted a sort of bastardised semi pro competition.

You reap what you sow.

1 Like