Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

They need to push it back the three weeks and use that to give the finals some space. As well as another week between the league and champo. But thats it I think.

Thatā€™s nonsense really.

4 Likes

Never heard of them tbh. They must have been playing below the junior leagues

I donā€™t think it is at all. Especially in a county that hasnā€™t been to a final for a while. Three or four weeks really allows the excitement to permeate deep into a county.

Did Limerick have an open night before the final this year?

Just the 7 free seats in the row in front of me in the centre of the Hogan Stand yesterday and 2 in the row in front of that.

It was absolutely hilarious stuff when they didnā€™t give an attendance figure at half time - just ā€˜Sold Outā€™, whatever thatā€™s supposed to mean.

1 Like

What a success this has been for its first proper run. A few tweaks and we have the new normal all sorted.

2 Likes

The ticketmaster system is an absolute disgrace. People were scrambling for 2 weeks only for the clubs to get their allocation mid week, paying up front for tickets and then being stuck with them. Saying sold out is bollocks.

The GAA need to add their own ticketing system into the Foireann site.

Iā€™d say there wasnā€™t more than 79k there yesterday. Could easily have fitted a few more thousand in.

Theyā€™re football only at adult level. Thereā€™s about 20 football clubs in Carlow compared to 9 in hurling.

No idea who this writer is but heā€™s nailed it here

@peddlerscross

1 Like

Cahair is a good man. Made an idiot out of Parkinson a few months back.

There are a few gaping holes in his argument here but its a good read nonetheless.

Never heard of him.

Diarmuid Murphy Kerry selector backing the split season.

A fucking goalie :joy:

Cahair has a plentiful supply of straw.

Interesting he mentions Christmas Eve. Presumably he thinks Christmas Eve would be better if were moved to October 24th.

Sure move the winter solstice at Newgrange to October 21st while yis are at it.

Sure thatā€™s an idiotic piece. The final day of the premier league totally over shadowed the hurling on that day.

In fact they are simply blessed it was a winter World Cup or Iā€™m sure the final would have clashed with they hurling final.

Iā€™m nearly sure the 2018 World Cup final clashed with a big gaa game the 2014 World Cup final was on the same day as cork v Limerick in the Munster final.

The split season will be the end of the clubs. Itā€™ll get even less coverage now than before. Youā€™d John kiely on about how about the league was devalued? As if itā€™s sort of a bad thing. Sure Limerick didnā€™t raise a leg this year in the league.

Inter county gaa is the only sport on the
Planet where teams need a five month preseason and by large the product is pretty terrible. Probably three really good hurling games this summer.

They desperately need to shorten the inter county season and go back to the old back door format. That format gives all counties a better chance too.

2 Likes

There was a man sitting next to me with a spare ticket in his pocket couldnt offload, the other side of me was a chap whose brother couldnt go as the young lad got sick the morning of the match meaning father and son couldnt go, failed to offload the tickets

that was 3 shy of fullhouse just from stories from the chaps sitting near me, I reckon the real attendance last sunday was probably 79,123

you are correct, football could have bigger gaps, neither kerry or galway will have a following anything on the limerick scale, kerryā€™s football following may be no better than kilkenny hurling?

Kerry should bring slightly more than Kilkenny but not by much Iā€™d wager. It could even be the case that they bring less than for the semi-final. Iā€™d imagine Dublin were seen as the real hurdle by Kerry people and also provided more of an ā€œeventā€ buzz than playing Galway does. Kerry v Galway is a pairing which has never really done it for me. Thereā€™s no great rivalry there and no needle.

The Galway races starts Monday. There are only so many times people can splurge in a cost of living crisis.

So I reckon you might be right.