Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

Split season sure

Who said it?

Donal Og and the boys on TSG

General opinion amongst Galway supporters tonight was that having All-Irelands in July is an abomination.

Sally’s played A Year 'Til Sunday. Even without the sound on, and Guns ‘N’ Roses and The Rolling Stones blaring, half the place still was glued to it. The sheer Septemberness of it was unmistakable.

You disrupt the rituals and the natural rhythm of Irish life at your peril. The All-Ireland football final is supposed to carry a grand air of finality. Finality of the summer, finality of the year, the last sustenance before winter. It is supposed to be timeless, people gathering in the same place at the same time year after year after year. That weekend, that Sunday. Now it’s just another optional entertainment event taking place during the summer, like Marlay Park concerts or the Galway Arts Festival or Sea Sessions or the Irish Times Summer Nights podcast series. Last year’s low fat final in September felt more filling than this year’s cod full fat version.

2 Likes

:grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:

FAO of GAA Admins:

(1) At least one free weekend needs to be in place between the hurling and football finals.
(2) Reinstate the minor final as a warm-up act to the main event to try and entice a few fellas out of the pub before the parade starts.
(3) Put the jubilee teams out at half time of the main event.

TFK still triaging other issues with the current format, we will be in touch presently.

4 Likes

I refuse to vote in this, you need an august option

1 Like

I had to remove the poll as people were just voting to try and wind me up and not express what they really feel. It’s amazing how petty people can be at times.

2 Likes

I never went to a minor final in my time going to all irelands. I suppose might get a few stragglers in early.

Loads of Limerick hurling games the weekend. Some top players on view. Go to a few, you might enjoy them.

When would you prefer the All Ireland Final to be played
  • July
  • September

0 voters

I pressed September there by accident, it should be June

Go back in there and change it, tis no bother.

Sorted it

Still think we need an august option

GAA aiming down the line to add the Camogie Senior final before the hurling final I’d bet. Big push to add Camogie/LGFA under the one umbrella.

I’d just play the senior Camogie final at half-time of the men’s instead of the mini-games

3 Likes

I used to go to club championship games in april, may, June, July and august until selfish folk like yourself demanded the inter county season took over for 8 months.

They need to make them wear bikinis first before that can happen

1 Like

January to July is 7 months inclusive.

1 Like

Fellas on here are demanding august is given to the inter county teams next year too. @Perez2017 cheif amongst them.

But sure you want the finals in September