Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

The referee issue is huge at the moment but its a separate issue.

Iā€™m not on a wind up at all, but like you said when August Bank Holiday weekend is a traditional walkover weekend, why fix a load of Championship games for it?

25% of clubs in Tipp will be finished on August 20th this year, thatā€™ll grow to 75% gone on September 11th. Its going to be a long winter in a lot of places. For context, last year (which i would regard as the best, smoothest run Championship of all) the first clubs were knocked out on September 25th and most were still playing into the second weekend in October. Everyone loved it.

3 Likes

It wont be moved back till September lads. That ship has sailed.

Fellas want their super 8s and round robins.

Youā€™re liking posts which would give even more of the year to the intercounty game

I want a mixed season and if I had my way Iā€™d do away with the league and those other pre season cups as well.

5 Likes

Itā€™s the exact same scenario in Carlow as Kerry. Senior hurling final on 7 August and thatā€™s the hurling done in the county for the year. I never saw a smaller crowd at the semi finals than there was yesterday in Netwatch Dr Cullen Park. This is the reality of the split season in its current guise at the coalface.

1 Like

People just arenā€™t ready for it now. Farmers and agri contractors are trying to get second cuts in at the moment. Thereā€™s straw bales to be made too.

Friday night games in Semple Stadium last Autumn were getting good crowds but the first fixture this year had no one at it and i dont expect it to change much this coming Friday.

A 4-5 week add on would make a huge difference.

1 Like

Itā€™s absolutely fascinating that the GAA have driven a few here demented. They have spent days at this stage paraphrasing themselves and rehashing the same old tropes.

6 Likes

Wont be changing lads so get used to it. Tipp county boards own fault for not playing club games in decent club grounds.

1 Like

What are the benefits of a mixed season in your mind?

Thereā€™s 100s of reasons tbh.

Itā€™s stops the domination of the inter county scene being the main one.

1 Like

What are the benefits of a team not having a game between August 14th and November 13th?

1 Like

Crowds at record lows in cork too I hear.

Just imagine how dire things will be in five and ten years.

Big crowd in Charleville anyway including a lot from Limerick clubs.

Donā€™t worry only six more days until you can start writing essays on here about how Troy the boy got on against fc pancake in the epl,

Semple Stadium is fine and worked well last year.

But its very hard to change the mindset of rural people over 50 who would be stone mad to go to games in October but you couldnt pay them to go in August. Farmers in particular are just too busy at the minute.

1 Like

Weā€™re lucky to have a poster going around conducting a census of crowds at any game he goes to. To be fair, if anywhere had somebody like that, you knew it would it would be here.

1 Like

Semple stadium is miles too big for first round games. Miles better buzz at smaller grounds.

1 Like

Premier league back for you this weekend anyway mate. Enjoy.