Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

No it doesn’t. It would reduce the standard and appeal of club games played during this time

Watch a lot of sports mate. Attend a few too. Great crowds at Limerick club games too the weekend i hear.

1 Like

You should be happy for all of Ireland.

I don’t think there is one but that’s down to individual county boards to run their competitions and clubs within the county can change that if they get enough support

Crowds were up at the hurling alright but given the unprecedented success of the hurling team I wouldn’t read too much into it or use it as a barometer for the rest of the country.

You’d sort of expect crowds to be up on pandemic times. Be something really wrong if you can’t improve on 0.

If the crowds were higher for games last year in Tipp and I’m not sure that is the case it is a lot more due to those games last year being the first games a lot of people could go to in 2 years than the timing

The split season fanatics/round robin enthusiasts will always have an excuse it seems.

1 Like

Great night in the local pub Saturday night. Everyone on a high after a fantastic win. I suffered yesterday, fell asleep during ladies football final.

I’d say crowds at club games are the same for the last 10-16 years I can remember going to them.

The county final in Tipp really depends on what two teams are in them, a South team for example will draw huge support.

My father always harps about the massive crowds going to games before when games we’re knockout. This meant 1 championship games is or possibly two for each club player.

Obviously there was less distractions back then and not as many people had cars to travel country wide. A trip into town for a club game was as good as it got. Rural population was also much higher with 10 per family.

All of these things have nothing to do with split season.

Personally I prefer the old backdoor format in hurling but even if we go back to that the likes of Liam Cahill or Davy fitz wont allow proper club championship mid season.

Why should Liam cahill and Davy fitz decide anything ?

They shouldn’t but that’s the way it is. Ger Loughnane started this in 1995 and nearly every county has adopted it since.

I actually agree with what you want but it’s like a retired 40 year old wishing he could be taken back 20 years where he could have committed himself properly.

Totally agree, Loughnane started the club county split and after all that only won 2 All Irelands. I actually remember county players playing league games in summer.

1 Like

I really think it would do county players the world of good playing Club League games ‘in season’.

Jack O’Connor let a lot of the Kerry lads back to their clubs at various stages during the year.

1 Like

Lads on the extended panel mainly. Most counties do that surely.

Billy Sheehan did this also. Destroyed Laois, we didn’t win the All Ireland

1 Like

Jack had lads playing Sigerson and County on the same day.

A great man

Defined windows for different competitions work in association football and rugby.

There’s an excellent case that all counties should lose control of their own fixture making and formats and the whole thing should be centralised.

Consult by all means but when you have counties doing solo runs to get one up on other counties it’s a recipe for chaos.

Chaos is what has been allowed to happen for decades. And it’s all the fault of inter-county managers.

The tail wagging the dog.

There’s simple measures that could be brought into place to ensure wankers like Davy don’t ruin club championships.