Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

The last sentence is spot on but no one will shout stop.

Or even type it in a strongly worded email.

1 Like

It’s a case of the tail wagging the dog.

All weekend on the radios it was wall to wall epl.

This will have an in impact.

There’s nothing wrong with that if those periods are clearly defined. The issue is when inevitably club players had to wait to see if their county won or lost a game to know if they’d be playing the following weekend or not for another month. Easy in Kilkenny back then when they were winning Leinster and getting to the All Ireland every year and also no football to deal with

So now your basically agreeing with me.

You’ve been contradicting yourself for months so I’m probably bound to agree with something you’ve said

4 Likes

They’re like fucking dictators. The GAA is an Amateur Community based organization. They carry on the in a manner that is the polar opposite. It’s not rocket science, they have to be reigned in. It’s not right that clubs aren’t seeing their top players for 8 months of the year. They have to be told to fuck off. Or it’s only going to get worse imo.

I am also of the opinion that moving the AI finals from the slots that everyone in the Country associates them with is a massive mistake. As with the constant tinkering of the structure, calendar and format. It ultimately diminishes the competition and interest will begin to wean. Very early days I know, but All Ireland football final tickets going on general sale the week of the All Ireland final should be setting alarm bells off in Croke Park.

Club and County must be harmonized, or otherwise the chasm between the two will only grow bigger.

3 Likes

Post of the year

And probably no proper club games in the intervening periods. It’s as clear as day the dictating and mollycoddling of County lads that’s going on.

I’ve just awoken from a three month slumber after @Keadyshouldhaveplayedin89 posts.

I’m going to be like maximus in gladiator giving Rome back to the people.

We need to bring the gaa back to the grass roots.

1 Like

Cheers pal. I actually meant to tag you and say that your prophecy could become sadly true.

I would say the majority of county players feel more in touch with their club now than they did before the split season. They’re actually training with their club for the entire club championship season now and no other distractions while club championships are going on.

As was said many times the power of intercounty set ups is the issue but that isn’t going to change. You can’t put the toothpaste back in the tube. The split season is the best solution available.

1 Like

Poor aul TJ, all that success must be awful

My Cobi Gillet is the bees knees and a jacket for all seasons.

Ya I accept that. That’s where it will get potentially difficult. Worse case scenario ot that contingencies are put in, ‘in the event of’ and it’s only allowed to be done from AI semi onwards.

A lovely line, Eddie O’Sullivanesque. You can’t unring a bell either.

Get rid of football. Just have club and county hurling. Problem solved.

5 Likes

@Fagan_ODowd may be able to verify but I have a notion that in the 1980s the Dublin club championship was sometimes run off in the early part of the year?

That’s my memory of it. It would be over by May.

1 Like

I remember as a young lad the club been knocked out of the first round of the championship 3 years on the trot in early June, straight knockout. No harm the system has changed.

1 Like
3 Likes