Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

An easy enough fix for the Gaa you’d expect.In saying that lads have been going to the states sin god was a boy.

There was the same amount of transfers this year as there was every other year.

O’Rourke himself Richly benefited from weekends in NYC.

I think his major point is to bring back the whole season 3/4 weeks which most people agree with.

1 Like

Is there any hope of that happening next year or is it certain to be the same as this year? Almost every single person seems to agree on putting it back at least two weeks

1 Like

Young fellows this summer have headed to the US, holidays, stags and weddings in July and August as they have always done. The only difference really, the GAA are playing off club championship across those summer months with depleted teams and smaller crowds.

Second Sunday in August today when the main sporting focus of the country would be on an All Ireland semifinal final. The main sporting focus today was the Sky Sports Super Sunday clash of Chelsea v Tottenham.

4 Likes

There is another list with J1 Sanctions. 153 on that for 2022 but no figures for previous years.

Deadline was 1st of July so them figures above are the final figures.

3 Likes

Normally this time of year all the talk of a Monday would be about a great Joe Canning point or a melee involving the Dubs. Without inter county now everyone will be focuing on how shit Man Utd are or the Tuchel/Conte scrap to fill the void. We are letting down an entire generation of young GAA supporters.

5 Likes

Larry McCarthy said it will be the same next year, I think I saw John Fogarty say it will change back in 2024.

It’s so clear what needs to happen so it seems like a total waste of a year.

Fair play for that chart.

People must realise there are only a certain amount of clubs in the US, only a few of those pay county players.

Even if the championship finished in May there are only so many sanctions.

They don’t go to NY anymore because if you’re on a county championship panel you can’t play.

That’s where the J1 sanctions come in then.

Note - A player who has been included on an Inter-County Senior Championship list submitted to the Referee, in accordance with Rules of Specification 2.5 (ii)(a) for a game in the current year’s Championship shall not be eligible to be accepted for Registration as a member of any Club in the North American County Board Jurisdiction.

Exception - A player who has been included on an Inter-County Senior Championship list submitted to the Referee, in accordance with Rules of Specification 2.5 (ii)(a), for a game in the current year’s Championship, who holds a valid current J1 Visa or who is eligible for a J1 Visa and who obtains an Official J1 Sanction may be accepted for registration.

• Such a player may only have his J1 Sanction approved once his team have been eliminated from the Senior Inter-County Championship (including All-Ireland qualifier games).
  • The J1 Visa concerned with this Exception is the J1 Work and Travel Programme Visa only – i.e. the four-month Visa for 3rd Level Students.
1 Like

The last time the 14th of August fell on a Sunday Tipperary edged past Galway in the middle one of their classic semi-final trilogy, with Bubbles O’Dwyer at his peak.

The only bubbles we saw today were the ones being blown by West Ham supporters in the live Super Sunday clash, while tumbleweed blew around Croke Park on what should be one of the GAA year’s prime afternoons.

But Martin Breheny has another list out tomorrow I hear so that will fill the gap.

4 Likes

Ah it’s much of a muchness really you’d hardly say the year was totally wasted.

Colm is a great man for a glib ill informed statement

Lucky the GAA intercounty championships are over or they would have been competely overshadowed by the drama at Stamford Bridge

1 Like

Assume they brought the All Stars forward to coincide witht the new season? Thats something to get very vaguely enthused about I suppose

So its actually lower than usual. Informative

Colm O’Rourke is a voice of reason on most topics and it was hard to argue with his column in today’s Sunday Independent.

1 Like

Wow

I’m sorry but he is a right cunt. Used his weekly column to ask for teachers pay to be cut while he a principal. At the same time himself and his brother were being bailed out by NAMA. I hope it is a long slow painful three years in Meath where his true colours will be shown.

9 Likes

What’s the story with the GAA scene in the US the other 10 months of the year? Are there league matches etc for local players who are based in Boston etc permanently all year round?

Is it basically a new team of intercounty players that’s imported for the championship every summer? And tough shit for the local lads who might have trained away but are never going to get a game ahead of these intercounty players?