Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

Pretty much

Why would loaded irish guys spend thousands on paying lads for basically makey uppy teams?

1 Like

Ego, I’d guess. Wanting to be associated with success, the plaudits for winning the title.

Money which would be better used back at their home clubs in Ireland, no doubt.

No league. Teams are made up of home based players and overseas. You are only allowed x amount of overseas (i believe it is 5)

It’s bizarre but they defo bet big on it and then spend the winter in the bars boasting about their team winning

1 Like

There’s pre season Blitzes in May anyway. A sort of a 7 a side competition in San Diego on the west coast.

I’m not as clued in football but I’d imagine there is enough home based in NYC and Boston to run home based leagues too.

Club players demand more playing time. Then they all fuck off to America to play for someone else :man_shrugging:

1 Like

We (boston hurling) played a preseason tournament

They have two up two down in Dublin though. If you are good enough you should rise to your level fairly rapid. The teams Junior D, E, F etc are second, third and even 4th and 5th teams. I would say there isn’t more than a handful of first teams all the way up to the higher junior levels.

They play a round robin? Its a cod until the inter county player arrives and punishes the club player also?

2 totally different competitions.

What you mean by punish the club player? Lads have been going abroad for 20+ years.

1 Like

Instead of watching the likes of Baysht/Hego/Clifford on The Sunday Game tonight a whole generation will be watching ronaldo and Harry Kane Maguire instead on match of the day 2 instead. Talk about shooting ones self in the foot

1 Like

They were all over tv last month lad.

They’re not there now. This is their time and they have given it away to other sports

Great planning by the GAA to not have the big games getting overshadowed by EPL games

1 Like

It tied in neatly for Sky Sports scheduling. The GAA Championship played off almost entirely during the dead time of the EPL off season. The All Ireland Football Final this year, the week before the Charity Shield. Paddy Footix can focus on the important business of his (and her) undying allegiance to English franchise of choice, with the GAA Championship out of the way and played off with such unreasonable haste.

Canice was right when he warned about the influence of the Sky and Rupert Murdoch over the GAA.

You were in tears over a team from the midlands of England winning today so you were lost to other sports either way.

Ah stop :joy:

25 years ago the GAA was a forward looking association. Now the tail is wagging the dog. Something has gone very wrong