Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

The league season lasted march til June. 6 rounds for most leagues. I dont know about other districts, but there is a healthy inter district competition in New Ross which is knock out, but could give another 3 games. So between hurling and football, the season will last from March to October, giving a player a minimum of 10 championship games, 12 league games and 2 district games, between hurling and football 24 games all in. That could be a maximum of 36 games if you made the final of all entered.

1 Like

No mention of any gaa on the front page of the Mondays Irish time times. We’ve rugby, rowing and soccer covered.

That’s a damning indictment of the failure of the split season in its current guise.

1 Like

I have this coming Sunday penciled in as All Ireland Hurling Final Weekend in my Master Fixture List which I drew up a few weeks back when I was bored.

I must share it with the forum some time.

That’s the part I really can’t understand. Rumours of county players from Joe Mcdonagh tier teams receiving in excess of 20k to play for the summer for some club they’d never heard of before. I can’t really see what the American-Irish lads gain from it. It’s not like they’re even luring out the likes of David Clifford. Must have been a huge bidding war for Rian O’ Neill.

Hego is a huge Liverpool fan.

It’s a dick measuring competition between building contractors usually.Thats all.In My you’d see a team win or contest a county final with a pile of county players brought over and the next year they mightn’t even field a senior team.

3 Likes
1 Like

Loads of club games in Tipp this weekend for you to go to.

1 Like

I know, I’ll probably be at around four of them.

It would still be better if we were only at Round 1 this coming weekend rather that Round 2 (we’d be at the final round stage now only for the terrible tragedy in Semple Stadium last week).

All Clubs should be still in the championship until the end of September to shorten the winter in rural places.

Would the Irish Times be aware of the GAA club scene?
They would be more into the rubby and regattas would they not?

3 Likes

The Irish Times :joy:

5 Likes

Anyone who’s involved in a club think there’s too little GAA on at the moment?

1 Like

:face_with_peeking_eye::face_with_peeking_eye::face_with_peeking_eye:

1 Like

Make it stop.

2 Likes

That’s the thing here,the big day bandwagoners are bored.Theres any amount of games on this weekend.I could be on the road nearly every night during the week with games on.Lads on about hurlers playing in October/November to “shorten the winter”.This is peak time of the year to be playing club games on good hard pitches leading to better quality games.

9 Likes

I’ve double coaching sessions 3 days this week.

1 Like

They’d rather clubs be scrambling around, forking out big money for astro pitches to train on midweek in September and October.

4 Likes

They’re big EPL fans from what I see.The two main ones aren’t even members of a club or would even go to a club game.

There were 5 hurling county finals in Wexford over the weekend, €30 ticket granted access to all 5.

4 Likes