Galway - quadruple travails part 2

You can sing that

:notes::notes:That is a very small 8 to 12 by recent Galway standards. Not too many ball winners in there. Mainly all ball players. No dogs.:notes::notes:

1 Like

Has Joseph Cooney been injured or something? Presuming he’s fit id have him as an automatic starter.

He was very slow to return from an injury and he didn’t look great coming on the last day. He’ll probably start at midfield or wing back in the next few games. He’s 12 years on the scene now and is the same age as Johnny Coen who’s two years retired so I’d say it could be his last year at intercounty.

1 Like

You can’t just throw in a load of young lads who are getting ate in training
I sometimes wonder why anyone like shefflin bothers.
I sometimes wonder why the players bother tbh.
We seem to feel we ought to be beating kk on every occasion, and putting up to Limerick if we just had the right manager/tactics/load of young lads.
I dunno at all.
That was a great afternoon last Sunday.
It did me fine anyway.

2 Likes

I was worried that your stint in tanland had made you more empathetic but I’m delighted to see you going after your own countymen on here. There’s nothing more Galway than thinking your own stock are cunts.

1 Like

You could say fair enough last year, they were within a point of limerick the year before so there was nothing wrong with going back to the same trough, but they were blown out of it last year. So was last year the abberation or the year before? I just don’t see any long term thinking. Limerick won’t be there forever, why not get a squad in place that will be primed in a year or two when limerick start to wane.

1 Like

It is very small. The only consolation is that the wexford are probably one of the smallest inter County teams around. And Donohoe and reck were very poor at 5 and 6 against antrim.

Seemingly, had to be coaxed back into the set-up.

1 Like

He has given alot. The last hurrah I suspect.

1 Like

Because they’ll get panned for not picking the older heads. The older heads are the best players. You pick your best/most effective team and gradually prune it.
The players are really good. Most years they’d be in the mix. There’s just an outlier, in substantial part because they happen to be huge men. You just can’t grow lads bigger naturally.
I think we are doing fine, shefflin is doing ok, and I won’t let any thick east Galway redneck tell me otherwise.

2 Likes

My memory is they were by far the better team in the 1st half last year against Limerick, just when they needed something from the bench in the 2nd half they found nothing. It’s the struggle to find a few options off the bench that is the big issue, they don’t seem to have unearthed much this year either. Where have lads like McGlynn, Connaire and Killeen gone at all?

1 Like

Killeen got a nasty shoulder injury and is really only just coming back.

1 Like

Harsh on @mikehunt

Losing another leinster final and getting hockeyed by limerick isn’t fine I think. I get what you are saying about putting forward the best team but is that what everyone bar limerick has done and is doing. To what effect.

Limerick are also learning as they go. When cathal o Neill made one of his first starts against us in the league lads here were posting they were looking forward to the cathal o Neill show. He was putrid. But kinnerk obviously identified something in him, he was thrown back in the oven and has developed into a fine player. I don’t think we are developing players, just giving lads a go then discarding. Who on that bench is a work in progress. McLoughlin only? O Shea if you are to believe he has the potential. Jury’s out on that.

2 Likes

As true now as it was last year, and every other year of his tenure

Come home Shane O’Neill

You’ve mugged us off good and proper @flattythehurdler

I would not be against Tessio returning. Actually think he’s suited to rebuilding jobs with young players.

That genuinely was spineless stuff. They made absolutely no effort in that second half and never back themselves to work a goal. It might not go much better tomorrow too.

3 Likes

U20 footballers well beaten.