Galway v Tipp

I thought they died with their boots on myself. Barry was solid at full back and won his battle, Barrett was excellent and Ronan Maher was decent too, Woodlock and McGrath grafted but they came off second best. Tipp’s big issue was that their other finishers in Bubbles and Forde never got into the game and were always going to struggle in a game like that where every score needed to be grafted for. Bonner had a lively enough second half and had a big part in creating most of Tipp’s goal chances in the second half but they needed more. As @Watch_The_Break pointed out they just don’t have the half forwards when it becomes trench warfare. A bigger victory margin would have reflected Galway’s supremacy but I thought Tipp battled to the end despite losing the majority of the individual battles in the middle third which left them swimming against the tide. Most sides would have wilted and in a game of fine margins they could well have shaded it if they had got one or two of the breaks in the last couple of minutes

5 Likes

Brimmer did you cause many fights yesterday and last night?

A bad year for munster hurling, but will try to do better next year.

I saw the headline and a quote from it something along the lines of “I can’t think of myself as anything other than ordinary” and I said I better not read that.

Agree rating… Myself and Joe are here discussing it and we came to the same conclusion… while I thought at half time the fight had gone out of Tipp I thought they battled on manfully.

I was wrong on Barry, he had a great game.

Tipp’s old failing came back to haunt them, a few lovely skilful scoring forwards that couldn’t win their own ball. To be fair, I’ve never ever seen Bubbles or Bonnar Maher so well shut down. Without the half back/midfield dominance they enjoyed until now many Tipp forwards struggled.

You have to feel for Tipp somewhat too. Galway had 5 games coming in (including kk exposing any and every weakness) while Tipp had two (learning nothing from the Limerick game and little against Waterford) and then a 5 week break. I think the structure seriously needs to be addressed at this stage.

1 Like

Barry had a good game but was badly a fault for Galway’s equalizing point, a very poor clearance straight to a Galway man and they worked the score from it

1 Like

That’s what the word in kk is.

We made plenty mistakes ourselves in the last few minutes, just less mistakes than Tipp did.

@Sidney did a great piece last night on the last moments of the game. Maybe Tipp could have planned it better, I’m not sure… What was really needed was a player to drop to the ground injured and break play but neither team wanted to do that as they both thought they were capable of winning it… And so it flowed and that’s when an player like Canning steps forward and does something special, a lucky break perhaps but he was in the right place at the right time and did the right thing.

Galway lads, were Hynes or Ronan Burke on the bench? Apart from switching Hanbury onto Callanan, might one of them, or David Collin, done a better job on Callanan?

Can someone throw up the list of galway subs I can’t see it anywhere.

Not a lucky break, a really well worked point. They’d had 2 or 3 chances before that where they took a few pot shots at goal from difficult positions where they should have recycled the possession to work the score but it was coming.

3 Likes

Two great teams going toe to toe. Not a man out there who shouldn’t be proud of his performance. Great game of hurling. No quarter asked nor given.

1 Like

Cliche alert!!!

2 Likes

Is that @Brimmer_Bradley’s programme.

Galway were very physical yesterday. It was great to see.

I think they’ll beat KK now.

Informative. Fergal Moore another option surely.

Can’t be. No crayon marks on it.

3 Likes

Thought they would have brought Collins on to pick up Callanan.

1 Like

Yes. Last I saw of him he was lying over gasping for air in Fitzgibbon lane. Took a good 15 minutes last night in the shower to wash off all the blood. My dealer boots are forever destroyed though.

I like the rolled up sides and the thumb marks smudging over the ink on the page. You must have had it rolled up tight and bating the shit out of the seat in front of you all game long!

3 Likes