Galway v Tipp

Well according to CM I wasn’t at the match, get the story right.
Maybe you gave me the imaginary beating before the match ? and I was so broke up I couldn’t go ? That’d make sense alright.

i thought andrew smith had a brilliant game yesterday BTW

Cloonan was in to Cathal Mannion all through second half. Seemed to be him calling all the changes and positions - at least with the forwards

Once Galway started to dominate in the air from about 20 minutes Tipp were in trouble but Callanan put on a master class and Galway refused to try and stop him.

Amazing that Galway just let him at it and didn’t change or put a man standing Front of him and left it man to man. If it wasn’t for some amazing saves from keeper Galway might have shipped five or six goals. Padraig Mannion will be damaged by that - Shane O’Neill esque.

Not a fucking chance. His distribution was cat yesterday.

The Kinvarra man in nailed on for the GK All-Star.

2 Likes

Agree rating

In fairness some of it was bad but a lot of it was Galway players just attacking the ball better than Tipp players

Bit harsh. From TV it looked like he delivering to stationary Tipp defenders who were a bit lackadaisical on receipt of the ball, and the Galway forwards were incredible in their workrate on closing them down.

I’d a better view in the Upper Cusak than what you were shown on TV. His puck outs are shit & have always been bar the day Cork did their hide & seek routine last year.

Hopefully not. He is a superb corner back and it was some ask putting him at 3 marking the best 14 in the game. Maybe we had no good options but I would have started with Hanbury who at least is more comfortable there, or Daithi or Collins all of whom have played fullback and would have a bit more physical presence and experience. When finally switched off Callinan Padraig made some key contributions in that last frantic 10 minutes. I’d say like his brother he has the temperament to put it behind him.

1 Like

We’re a gas set up all the same. I saw Kevin Hynes a few minutes ago doing his days work, no longer part of the set up… A Clare man just asked me where Ronan Burke was and I told him I had no idea. We have depensed with some amount of numbers 3’s since Conor Hayes retired.

Michael Healy
Peter Huban
Brian Feeney
Eugene MaCantee
Kevin Hynes
Ronan Burke
Ger Mahon
Liam Hodgins
… Off the top of my head

Tony Og

1 Like

Shane Kavanagh
If you think of big men who could compete with Callinan in the air hard to think of better

You’ve contradicted yourself there. He wasn’t any better v Cork, they just put no pressure on him. Galway pressure yesterday was immense. If ye had half forwards that would win puck outs he’d have hit it to them.

1 Like

Another discarded too soon, he was a good player.

1 Like

A few days ago I referred to the record of Munster champions in All-Ireland semi-finals and yet again they have fallen at this stage. The five week break doesn’t do them any favours. On the other side Kilkenny have learned to deal with it but logical analysis doesn’t apply to Kilkenny.

A full rundown since 1997 with the teams to buck the trend in bold:
1997: Clare (5 week break) beat Kilkenny (2 week break) by 4
1998: Clare (3 week break) drew with Offaly (2 week break) - Offaly won second replay by 3
1999: Cork (5 weeks) beat Offaly (2 weeks) by 3
2000: Cork (5 weeks) lost to Offaly (2 weeks) by 4
2001: Tipp (6 weeks) drew with Wexford (2 weeks) - Tipp won replay by 11
2002: Waterford (6 weeks) lost to Clare (2 weeks) by 3
2003: Cork (6 weeks) drew with Wexford (2 weeks) - Cork won replay by 13
2004: Waterford (6 weeks) lost to Kilkenny (1 week) by 3

Format change:
2005: Cork (3 weeks) beat Clare (3 weeks) by 1
2006: Cork (2 weeks) beat Waterford (2 weeks) by 1
2007: Waterford (1 week) lost to Limerick (2 weeks) by 5

2008: Tipp (5 weeks) lost to Waterford (3 weeks) by 1
2009: Tipp (5 weeks) beat Limerick (3 weeks) by 24
2010: Waterford (4 weeks) lost to Tipp (3 weeks) by 7
2011: Tipp (5 weeks) beat Dublin (3 weeks) by 4
2012: Tipp (5 weeks) lost to Kilkenny (3 weeks) by 18
2013: Limerick (5 weeks) lost to Clare (3 weeks) by 7
2014: Cork (5 weeks) lost to Tipp (3 weeks) by 10
2015: Tipp (5 weeks) lost to Galway (3 weeks) by 1

2 Likes

Galway were cleaned on puck outs first twenty minutes. Eventually they pushed up and forced Tipp long.

Kelly penalised one short puck out yesterday but let a few more go. Refs have also started to disrupt quick puck outs by insisting they are back in middle before letting them off.

Ability of Galway forwards to win their own ball was difference. Kilkenny like.

9 Likes

I agree. I think too much discussion will focus on the full back line in the run up to the final. Hanbury back in there and Mannion in the corner is probably the correct setup. KK only scored 1 goal in the Leinster final and only 1 against Waterford so I wouldn’t be hitting the panic button.

Cynical but manly cynicism.

What are stats on penalties scored under new rules. I thought Canning set ball too close to 21 for his one and then couldn’t commit to it.