Galway v Tipp

Backtrack.
So Hogan after watching a replay which looks bad was still a cunt for tweeting his opinion?

The rugby comparison he made has nothing to do with hurling. Why did he feel the need to stick in the " not even in rugby" bit. Needless comparison. In the same way needless and pointless comparisons were made with soccer over McCann’s dive last week against Monaghan.

It was a foul, it was a penalty, it was deliberate but as I said I don’t think the galway players intention was to smash a lad head first into the ground. He wanted to drag him down and that’s what he did. It was an unintended consequence that Callanan landed on his neck. Looked worse than it was.

I did not say it was intentional, neither did Hogan.

Is it okay to wrap your 2 arms around an opponents and pull or toss to the ground? You are all over the shop here. Hogan played Rugby and gave an opinion. If Damien Duff did likewise there wouldn’t have been a peep out of you. :rollseyes:

The overall point though is that on the Sunday game it was not given the same attentipn as Cavanaghs tackle last year. Now Donal og while not as excitible as Brolly is just as opionated and did not villify it as much as Brolly. The cynic in me is suggesting that if that was Kilkenny v Tipp or if a Tipp man had done it to say Canning, it would have gotten a lot more attention. The very fact that another Kilkenny Tipp decider was avoided probably outweighed the significance of it. Cynical I know but just a theory

2 Likes

I didn’t think you’d go down this road @carryharry

Fucking hell is yer man still bitching over a fucking tweet. Good fuck.

That’s a fair point re the public hanging of Sean Cavanagh against the lack of outcry over a similar enough incident on Sunday.

For what it’s worth cynical play has been in hurling for years too but maybe not to the extent of football. Club players up and down the country are instructed to take a yellow if their man gets inside them and is through on goal. Pull them back/down and just concede the free in.

Stupidity draws stupidity out in people, pal.

:blush:

2 Likes

Well who did we have Sunday night. Donal, Henry and Anthony. If Tipp were playing the east Belfast orange brigade in Tiddly winks what colour sash… sorry jersey do you think they’d be wearing?

Barry did Canning a favour, when Canning pulled and was booked, by getting up quite quickly. Thought it was good sportsmanship at the time when other lads would have lay down to maximise effect.

4 Likes

This is true but in fairness to Canning, nhe put his hand up straight away and it was an acccident. IMO the tackle on Callinan was a yellow, a black in football. Is it worth looking at the soccer version? Last defender gets red

Yeah it was an accident but it could have been a red very easily.

Not sure it needs to be a straight red as soccer is different with a much smaller scoring area and goals hard to come by. A penalty is sufficient punishment but penalty rules need to be tweaked to make it easier to score

Id move the penalty in another 5 meters. That would sort it out

The Cavanagh incident against Monoghan was different as he pulled him down outside box and no penalty was given

One on one with the keeper from the current position is easy enough. You have to fuck up to miss. Canning and Callanan did. We don’t need a rule change because of it.

4 Likes

Agreed.

Fair comment

GAA analysis in general has traditionally been of low quality and less analytical than in other sports, but within the GAA itself Gaelic football analysts will at least generally show more of a willingness to critically analyse both tactics and controversial incidents whereas in comparison hurling has always had a culture of bluster and self-congratulation.

The casual dismissal of Hanbury’s tackle as being unworthy of further discussion “as it would devalue what was a great victory for Galway” was symptomatic of that lack of a genuine critical culture among hurling analysts and hurling people™. Eoin Kelly’s contribution on Monday’s Off The Ball was particularly instructive in this regard, and in fairness to Daithi Regan, he was dead right to have a cut off Kelly afterwards over it.

Henry Shefflin’s sending off against Cork in 2013 was another incident which had a huge amount of bullshit written and said about it. It was King Henry, after all, and King Henry couldn’t end his career like that.

2 Likes

@carryharry and trevor are right. The tackle was reckless and the lad was put down on his head. Hanbury should have seen red.

3 Likes