Gardai acting quite aggressively

Itā€™s too fucking easy and predictable on here. Christ ā€¦ the place is truly, truly gone.

Itā€™s time to move on and never forget

Everything OK, bud?

I saw a clip on Twitter yesterday of Si Harris on the campaign trail with James Geoghegan in DBS for the by-election. They had a little open air press briefing. Rich Bruton and others were there too. Si said it was the 25th anniversary of Garda McCabeā€™s death and Senator Lynn Boylan had questions to answer about whether Sinn FĆ©in supported the Special Criminal Court or not. I rolled my eyes to heaven and thoughtā€¦are these gobshites going to try to make something as fucking irrelevant to peopleā€™s day to day lives as the SCC an election theme for about the 13th election in a row? Then they all posed for a snap, posted on Twitter, of them sitting outside TriBeCa in Ranelagh with a shopfront called Head Cases in the background.

6 Likes

But, but, butā€¦ Sinn Fein.

They have questions to answer.

2 Likes

This is absolutely unbelievable if true.

Only the 10 weeks after the shooting.

1 Like

Fucking madness. Surely a high profile case like this gets priority and is done right. Thatā€™s so fucked up.

The optics are shocking and makes the familyā€™s lack of confidence in GSOC understandable.

2 Likes

Sort of, but Iā€™d imagine the gard was fairly distraught also, and I suspect he had to be cleared fit to be interviewed by the psychology/mental health team.
I doubt very much the lads were scratching their armpits for months before saying ā€œara I spose weā€™ll have to do it sometimeā€

1 Like

You get that this is an investigation into the lawfulness or otherwise of the incident, right?

You get that a Garda
Ah feck it, Iā€™m not getting into this.

1 Like

Apology accepted.

I find it difficult to believe there wasnā€™t some degree of racial bias there, whether conscious or unconscious. What we can say is that it was a failure of policing in that the police failed to produce the desired outcome from the situation. Any situation like that which produces a dead person is a failure. There are degrees of failure though. Occasionally failures are pretty much unavoidable because of the behaviour or modus operandi of the person being pursued. I donā€™t think this was the case in this incident however. I think a better outcome could have been achieved.

And itā€™s impossible to shake the feeling that the system is making it as difficult as possible for the Nkencho family to get answers, never mind justice. I think we already see that it is.

So the cop who shot him was biased against black people but just not aware of it.

How would you address that ?

2 Likes

I donā€™t know to what degree there was racial bias at play if any because I canā€™t get inside the heads of the Gardai present. I suspect there was unconscious racial bias at play.

When Eddie Brennan said what he said 20 years ago, how did he frame it?

Is Unconscious Bias Training not a fairly standard form of training for police internationally?

Unfortunately it seems this may have been the case.

I donā€™t believe there was any racial bias in the shooting (just my opinion) but I donā€™t think the guards/gsoc are helping themselves here.

1 Like

Is there any formal protocol in this situations I wonder? It does look bad but if itā€™s procedural would at least go some way to explaining it