Germany Backers Thread

Leeds were knocked out next round by the Famous

Mark Hateley scored a cracker that night. Huns nearly made the final that year

1 Like

As I said, Germans are in denial about this. They love nothing more than getting one over on the English. The whole of Europe and plenty outside Europe too does. They see the English as hubristic, arrogant, delusional, of having notions that they have a God-given right to rule the waves. In a contemporary political context much of this would be tied to Brexit but it’s also historical. And it’s difficult to separate contemporary English political notions from history. When Iceland beat England at Euro 2016 the whole of Europe rejoiced.

They were very unlucky .

Could you imagine the reaction of one poster here if Celtic had narrowly missed out on a European Cup final to a team who were later found to be match fixing?

The howls of conspiracy would have never ended.

But because it happened to themmuns it was all apparently above board.

1 Like

Marseilles didn’t chest in Europe :sweat_smile:

No, they laughed.

I saw Klinsmann talk about Germanys big rivalries last week in the run up to the Scotland-England game, that article fleshes out some of the points he made. But as you know what the Germans are really secretly thinking it would probably all be wasted on you.

Marseille scored after two minutes of the final match away to Bruges, and held on for a 1-0 win. I’m sure I heard some loose talk not long after that that match was a fix, but nothing was ever proved. But Belgian teams were definitely not averse to jiggery pokery over the years. Anyway Rangers made a bags of it the same night when they couldn’t beat CSKA Moscow at home.

the red tops in Germany are all over it

Germany Euro GIF by ESPN FC

It’s amusing seeing Paddy in know all mode on what this clash of two of the heavyweights of world soccer and indeed the world stage means to the protagonists. Paddy Footix should be focusing on his own big modern day rivalries against Luxembourg and Gibraltar.

2 Likes

The denial is hilarious. Even you were to take it in a purely football sense it’s a massive rivalry. England and Germany have consistently played out massive matches against each other over the decades.

1966 World Cup final
1970 World Cup quarter-final
1972 European Championship quarter final
1982 World Cup quarter-final group stage
1990 World Cup semi-final
1996 Euros semi-final
2000 Euros
2002 World Cup qualifying
2010 World Cup

Among these are some of the most memorable matches ever played in the history of football, most of them extremely close and some filled with high controversy. I’m not sure could any other rivalry produce a list of memorable major historical clashes to match those.

Do you think Italy consider Germany as rivals? England’s record against Germany is a lot better than Germany’s against Italy.

1 Like

The footix are seething that the Germans don’t care that much about England

1 Like

Of the last 4 times they have met in major championships they have knocked each other out twice. A game between them often contains the reigning European or World champion, of course they are rivals.

Germany have never beaten Italy at a major finals. They’ve had nine goes at it. In fact they’ve never beaten them in a competitive match ever. So according to your logic they couldn’t possibly be rivals.

Huh, how have you got to that conclusion? Are you going to tell me what I’m thinking now as well as the Germans? The last 4 times they have met in major championships Germany have knocked out Italy twice.

This rivalry is so intense it’s causing rivalry between Irish people

1 Like

I looked at the stats - Germany have never beaten Italy competitively.

You class that one sided rivalry as a rivalry but not the far more competitive England-Germany rivalry.

That’s delusion.

1 Like

England v Germany

Competitive matches
England 3
Draws 4
Germany 4

Overall
England 13
Draws 6
Germany 13

Now that’s a proper rivalry.