Gigs coming up

[quote=“cluaindiuic, post: 813462, member: 258”]Blur were excellent, however I was surrounded by tards who were so annoying I genuinely wondered if it was an incredibly well crafted and executed practical joke. Took all my patience not to forearm one of them in the face.

I really don’t get the Bruce Springsteen cult either. I got tickets through work. I ended up selling them and watching Meath and Tyrone at home instead. He has literally played across the road from my house multiple times and I wouldn’t cross the street to go see him. In Kilkenny they had a Bruce Springsteen tribute band playing in Kytlers before Bruce on the Saturday. Lads going to him a few nights in a row and fitting in tribute bands in between. Utterly bizarre. A couple of my mates described me not going to him as sacrilegious. I’m sure the reason he played Ireland so much this year is all about his love for Ireland and not the monetary benefits from wringing the towel on an overdeveloped market. Next year in the spirit of Spinal Tap and Pink Floyd, he is playing Newgrange.

I have a tricky schedule ahead. I’m in the US for work next week[west coast] and I’m landing in Dublin at 3pm on Saturday and immediately driving to Slane. It should be interesting. I may to set my alarm now for the Limerick Clare match on Sunday.[/quote]

Who’s on in slane?
What were the annoying cunts doing at blur? Was at it myself great gig I thought. The queue for the bar was a practical joke tho

[quote=“cluaindiuic, post: 813462, member: 258”]Blur were excellent, however I was surrounded by tards who were so annoying I genuinely wondered if it was an incredibly well crafted and executed practical joke. Took all my patience not to forearm one of them in the face.
[/quote]
There was an auld one of about 40 or so near me drunk out of her tree before the gig even started, she was falling about and could barely stand, then got up trying to do sexy poses and she’d lose balance and nearly fall again and then try shift the face off some dude that may have been her boyfriend or may have just been a creepy opportunist. She’d have been thrown out if she’d been a teenager. Pissed us right off but she disappeared shortly after Blur started.

Just seeing the last page of this thread now.

Shiny Happy People in my view is nowhere near REMs best song but doesn’t deserve the hammering it gets from some quarters.

I like Blur. I think they have some great tunes. But Country House, Stereotypes and Charmless Man are woeful dirge in my view.

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 813543, member: 24”]
I like Blur. I think they have some great tunes. But Country House, Stereotypes and Charmless Man are woeful dirge in my view.[/quote]

I’m in full agreement there but they are an insanely good band most of the time. They’ve been going for 25 years or so and Under The Westway is the song everyone wished David Bowie had come back from his hiatus with. It’s sublime. Blur, 13, Parklife, a lot of Modern Life, a lot of Think Tank, There’s No Other Way, Sing (possibly the best tune on the Trainspotting OST)…incredible band.

Sing is a fucking smashing tune-that gives me a mind to download that Trainspotting album again this evening.

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 813543, member: 24”]Just seeing the last page of this thread now.

Shiny Happy People in my view is nowhere near REMs best song but doesn’t deserve the hammering it gets from some quarters.

I like Blur. I think they have some great tunes. But Country House, Stereotypes and Charmless Man are woeful dirge in my view.[/quote]

I’d agree with all that. Some of the Blur stuff is absolute muck, while other stuff is brilliant (Song 2, Universal, Girls & Boys, Parklife)

Song 2 was a great tune back in the day-bugs the shit out of me now. Overplayed I suppose.

Nailed it. To think there used be a debate as to whether Oasis or Blur were better.

There’s Blur b-sides that are better than the supposed “anthems” that Oasis have.

I’d rather have a pint with Noel than any of the wankers from Blur, mind you.

I must say I think Tender is overrated. Then again I have never been a huge fan of gospel music in songs.

The Universal versus Wonderwall was the second round of Blur versus Oasis. Wonderwall beat it in the charts and also in the end of the year singles from so called critics. For me there was never any comparison. In fact The Universal was as good of a song as anything around at that time.

The real battle was between the cover versions. The Mike Flowers Pops version of Wonderwall v’s Joe Dolan’s epic rendition of The Universal.

Apart from ‘You Can’t Always Get What You Want’ though, right?

You could easily throw This is a Low into that as well off the top of my head.

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 813563, member: 24”]I must say I think Tender is overrated. Then again I have never been a huge fan of gospel music in songs.

The Universal versus Wonderwall was the second round of Blur versus Oasis. Wonderwall beat it in the charts and also in the end of the year singles from so called critics. For me there was never any comparison. In fact The Universal was as good of a song as anything around at that time.[/quote]

Wonderwall wins.

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 813563, member: 24”]I must say I think Tender is overrated. Then again I have never been a huge fan of gospel music in songs.

The Universal versus Wonderwall was the second round of Blur versus Oasis. Wonderwall beat it in the charts and also in the end of the year singles from so called critics. For me there was never any comparison. In fact The Universal was as good of a song as anything around at that time.[/quote]

Country House and Charmless Man are great pop songs.

Midlake in the Roisin Dubh tonight…

:pint:

[quote=“Kinvara’s Passion, post: 816369, member: 686”]Midlake in the Roisin Dubh tonight…

:pint:[/quote]

Tim Smith, the singer, left them last November. I heard the new single and it’s excellent so I wouldn’t worry, but please report back on whether they played anything off Van Occupanther and how it sounded, please.

I had to pass on the tickets earlier… A matter of agricultural urgency cropped up.

Its at times like this I detest rural pursuits.

[quote=“Kinvara’s Passion, post: 816557, member: 686”]I had to pass on the tickets earlier… A matter of agricultural urgency cropped up.

Its at times like this I detest rural pursuits.[/quote]

Aw man!!

That said I was out all day topping rushes.

@Thrawneen - Smith is gone? I never heard that. :eek::eek::eek:

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 816582, member: 24”]Aw man!!

That said I was out all day topping rushes.

@Thrawneen - Smith is gone? I never heard that. :eek::eek::eek:[/quote]

http://thumped.com/events/midlake-irish-tour-new-lp-news.html

Yep, sad stuff. Happened last November. His voice made the band for me…they shoulda changed the name or something…they still sound good…but it ain’t Midlake.