Gigs coming up

Not the greatest scheduling in the world but we’ll just have to make it work.

The Slim by Sugar (ie Mould) is an absolute cracker of tune.

About AIDS and how Mould lost friends to it. Mould being gay never fitted with the loud nature of his work (very stereotypical I know) but it was terrific so see such a song around that topic to be so rockin.

2 Likes

Pulled this out of the singles box. I’ll give it a whirl now.

2 Likes

A side held up very well considering it’s nearly 40 years old. B side is Donald ducked.

Love is all around?

As in Wet Wet Wet?

REM covered it as well.

No would you believe it was a cover of the theme tune for the Mary Tyler Moore Show which was set in Minneapolis- Husker Dus home town.

The Love is all around that you reference is actually a Troggs song.

2 Likes

That’s correct. The REM Troggs cover was before the WWW one too. Think it was part of REM unplugged, which I had the VHS tape of.

1 Like

There’s a Dublin Mould show as well @Fagan_ODowd @farmerinthecity on November 25th at Button Factory. I plan to be there.

2 Likes

Mike Mills sang it.

1 Like

Will you be wearing a white carnation?

Perhaps

Despite being 10,800 on the queue, I was unsuccessful in landing tickets. Raging. I’m going to take this out on my Volvo dealer.

I went to see The Saw Doctors with Mrs Barnes in The Big Top in Fisheries field in Galway last night. A tremendous show. They nearly took the roof off the place. The hiatus seems to have been good to them. Davy Carton has never sounded better. Not shouty at all. Galway was absolutely buzzing last night. It’s a great town to be out in.

8 Likes

It’s an absolutely class venue and time of year to go to it. I’ve seen orbital, damo, Brian Wilson and pixies at it over the years. The walk over the bridge and the buzz of anticipation if the weather is anyway good is worthy of a Roy Curtis haiku.

1 Like

If the GAA were in charge they’d move it to November.

Tickets sorted for the best night of the year. :facepunch:

Seen The Waterboys live tonight in a rain soaked Uppsala, Sweden.

Mike Scott’s voice is ageless, and he’s a half decent frontman at best. His lyrical blessings almost make up for what he lacks. Sporting a slimmed down band from the last time I seen him in this country, the tasty three little Dublin fillies for backing singers are gone and he’s missing at least one or two more musicians on top, with the remainder unsuccessfully trying to make up the difference. It seems to be fairly standard now with the losses incurred during covid and the risen cost of touring but the collective output has definitely declined in quality as a result. Brother Paul on keys is a bit of wizard/virtuoso but it was overkill having three keyboards on stage. The duel between two of the players at some points were captivating, but Scott using his for two songs was a step too far and seemed unnecessary.

Sixty quid, a short-ish set, the usual one foot in the grave level sedateness of the Swedish gig goer mixed with a sense of gratitude that live music is back on the road again after the pandemic.

6 Likes

@farmerinthecity

Katie Kim is part of the new band ØXN along with Radie Peat from Lankum and Ellie and Spud from Percolator. They cover FITC on their debut album out in a few months.

2 Likes

I was at a corman Begley gig recently and he mentioned doing something with Lisa O’Neill and radie peat but I haven’t been able to find any more info on it at all.

Tickets secured for Olivia Rodrigo courtesy of the Three presale.

2 Likes