Gigs coming up

[quote=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 895268, member: 2272”]ostensibly yes but I think it is more about mass participation in a public event/telling your mates you are doing it/publically doing it

I reckon not much weight loss is sustained/lifestyle changed by it or else it wouldn’t be on every year as we only have an adult population of 3m[/quote]

I know an old lad doing it. He is about 60, had a health scare and wants to sort himself out. It offers him a structured platform in which to do this. He is not the type of lad to be broadcasting it. I don’t see any harm in it.

Don’t agree. Quite a few do. I know some people tell others to sty motivated, it’s like if I tell them then I have to do it.

The issue is always diet, diet is always always the stumbling block. But people often take on too much as well. They take on running or spinning coupled with weights or circuit classes added to changing your diet.

I don’t deal much with the general population, but if I was, this is a very basic system I would put in.

1 month of improving diet. Nothing else, except a small bit if walking an an introduction to flexibility. But diet is absolutely the focus.

6 weeks of a strength program, based around core mobility and stability and some work capacity (circuits).

Then after that look for a hobby/sport/ whatever. Always keeping an eye on diet.

It’s really hit me this last 18 months. I was for 3-4 years able to eat and drink more or less anything. Not anymore. The younger you train in a good diet the better. Everything else can come and go.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 895345, member: 273”]Don’t agree. Quite a few do. I know some people tell others to sty motivated, it’s like if I tell them then I have to do it.

The issue is always diet, diet is always always the stumbling block. But people often take on too much as well. They take on running or spinning coupled with weights or circuit classes added to changing your diet.

I don’t deal much with the general population, but if I was, this is a very basic system I would put in.

1 month of improving diet. Nothing else, except a small bit if walking an an introduction to flexibility. But diet is absolutely the focus.

6 weeks of a strength program, based around core mobility and stability and some work capacity (circuits).

Then after that look for a hobby/sport/ whatever. Always keeping an eye on diet.

It’s really hit me this last 18 months. I was for 3-4 years able to eat and drink more or less anything. Not anymore. The younger you train in a good diet the better. Everything else can come and go.[/quote]

Very true - diet is hard though because it is 73 hours a week of effort - whereas anybody should be able to do 3 hours of exercise (effort) a week.

It’s all about habit. I fucking hated veggie juices (homemade) before, but now I get withdrawal symptoms if I go 24-48 hours without one, worse than coffee for me. It’s about getting addicted to the right stuff.

Not saying it’s easy of course. I have a serious issue with chocolate.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 895352, member: 273”]It’s all about habit. I fucking hated veggie juices (homemade) before, but now I get withdrawal symptoms if I go 24-48 hours without one, worse than coffee for me. It’s about getting addicted to the right stuff.

Not saying it’s easy of course. I have a serious issue with chocolate.[/quote]
apparently will power is a depleting resource so more you use it the less you have left - explains why poorer people eat badly as they need to use will power because they don’t have cash for certain things so by end of day none left

also explains why most people gorge in the evenings as will power all used up by that stage

Can’t get over the interest in this. Even as a kid is switch him off on the radio. Music for simpleton redneck hicks. What’s the attraction?

[quote=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 895357, member: 2272”]apparently will power is a depleting resource so more you use it the less you have left - explains why poorer people eat badly as they need to use will power because they don’t have cash for certain things so by end of day none left

also explains why most people gorge in the evenings as will power all used up by that stage[/quote]
Or because they’re hungry?

apparently not - you haven’t eaten for 8 hours at breakfast time but people can skip breakfast

if you use a lot of will power in a crap life/stressful job then at end of your day you literally have none left to resist the chocolate/crisps/pizza etc

paper here about will power being a depleting resource

http://www.nber.org/papers/w12278

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 895352, member: 273”]It’s all about habit. I fucking hated veggie juices (homemade) before, but now I get withdrawal symptoms if I go 24-48 hours without one, worse than coffee for me. It’s about getting addicted to the right stuff.

Not saying it’s easy of course. I have a serious issue with chocolate.[/quote]
You’re addicted to the right stuff but you’re still a fucking muppet. Big fucking deal.

:smiley:

[quote=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 895357, member: 2272”]apparently will power is a depleting resource so more you use it the less you have left - explains why poorer people eat badly as they need to use will power because they don’t have cash for certain things so by end of day none left

also explains why most people gorge in the evenings as will power all used up by that stage[/quote]
Nothing to do with shit food being cheaper or possibly lack of education on the subject so no? Also, how are they using will power because they can’t afford certain things? Stopping themselves from robbing stuff?

There’s a few holes in that post, me oul flower.

[quote=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 895370, member: 2272”]apparently not - you haven’t eaten for 8 hours at breakfast time but people can skip breakfast

if you use a lot of will power in a crap life/stressful job then at end of your day you literally have none left to resist the chocolate/crisps/pizza etc

paper here about will power being a depleting resource

http://www.nber.org/papers/w12278[/quote]
Can we see the peer reviews of that article please?

Did this get merged with the diet thread or something?

[quote=“Horsebox, post: 895410, member: 1537”]Nothing to do with shit food being cheaper or possibly lack of education on the subject so no? Also, how are they using will power because they can’t afford certain things? Stopping themselves from robbing stuff?

There’s a few holes in that post, me oul flower.[/quote]
They have to resist impulse purchases.

For most people pizza tastes better than broccoli

This explains it more clearly

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/environment-energy/89377/poverty-escape-psychology-self-control

I have you badly rattled Fagan.

You’re a complete hypocrite by the way.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 895503, member: 273”]I have you badly rattled Fagan.

You’re a complete hypocrite by the way.[/quote]
What’s wrong now @caoimhaoin

Going on recently about people being different and having different view, yet when someone opposes a lot of the ways you are, or doesn’t agree with your views you get all uppity, old and condescending. Thus your a hypocrite.

Ageist cunt. Think you’re so liberal and you’re more bigoted than the worst of them here.

That’s the best you have, that and a WYS tag. Fuck me I expected more. Being an old cranky cunt has little to do with age, it’s a choice. I know plenty much older that are far more enlightened. Don’t wait till the death bed to have it dawn on you.

@caoimhaoin - as if I’d waste my best on you. It’d go right over your head.