Gigs coming up

[QUOTE=“farmerinthecity, post: 1126465, member: 24”]Radiohead once supported the Four of Us.

Speaking of support acts, Julian Cope’s one on Saturday must be the worst ever. A big bruiser covered in tattoos and piercings with a laptop. He made Scooter look good. Memorable parts included the tune from Light My Fire interrupted by a burp - and repeat. Your man was smiling. Weird.[/QUOTE]
He’s a genius. He’s clearly not mainstream or commercial enough for your bland taste.

Sufjan Stevens in August.

Playing the Helix for some reason…

I’ve just seen a sign for Paddy Casey playing a local boozer tonight which holds about 50 people.

Anyone can lose it all, anyone can lose it all…

1 Like

[QUOTE=“Ebeneezer Goode, post: 1131353, member: 1785”]I’ve just seen a sign for Paddy Casey playing a local boozer tonight which holds about 50 people.

Anyone can lose it all, anyone can lose it all…[/QUOTE]
I saw him live three times. The cunt seemed to get the support gig for every concert I went to for a year or two. Him and the Thrills :mad:

Charlatans tomorrow night in the Academy. New album is surprisingly decent.

[QUOTE=“Fagan ODowd, post: 1094192, member: 706”]This was a super gig in a beautiful venue (a converted Wesleyan church). The War on Drugs pulled an audacious stunt by playing their best known song Under The Pressure as the set opener but they nailed it and set the scene for a wonderful evening of Waterboys/shoegazing crossover music. Beautiful melodies and catchy tunes interspersed with droning guitars and ear bleeding tape loops.

It struck me that if John Hughes was still making movies, he’d be using these tunes for the soundtracks. No higher praise. Music for Molly Ringwald to run away from James Spader and back to safe embrace of Harry Dean Stanton, as her father.

Songs stretched out languorously for 7 minutes plus, Adam Granduciel changed guitars frequently but the high points were when he donned the Fender Jazzmaster. Drummer Charlie Hall beat out a fierce rhythm all through. A drummer with a headband, no less. I thought I’d never see it again in my lifetime.

Super stuff.

[ATTACH=full]2401[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]
Bumped there for Aristotle.

Into the National?

They’re possibly the best band I’ve seen live and their drummer also wears a headband at times, interestingly! He is an unbelievable drummer too.

1 Like

[QUOTE=“Aristotle, post: 1139335, member: 2949”]Into the National?

They’re possibly the best band I’ve seen live and their drummer also wears a headband at times, interestingly! He is an unbelievable drummer too.[/QUOTE]
Never heard of them to be honest.

Interesting, I guess I find it hard to judge how famous different bands are. I’ve just them come up as “recommended music” when listening to one of the others on YouTube, Spotify, last.fm, that kind of thing. Not sure why, they’re not really that similar tbh.

Going to see the great Nigel Kennedy next Friday night. He will be playing some Bach, Smietana and some toons with his own band.

:violin: :violin:

The National are without doubt America’s finest band atm, a notch above Spoon. Both their most recent releases are top notch, although the National’s prior release High Violet is simply superb stuff from start to finish.

2 Likes

Going to see Counting Crows at the Royal Hospital Kilmainham this evening.

Very much looking forward to it. They seem to play a different set every night so I hope my all time favourite song “Round Here” is played.

@Rocko, how’s that “dislike” button coming along?

Round Here is an awful dirge of a song

The twelve minute live version is fantastic when you are feeling sorry for yourself

I’d say the entire counting crowds catalogue is fantastic when you are feeling sorry for yourself

2 Likes

Funny :blush:

Did you have a good time pal?

Good time. First time in RHK for a gig and was very impressed with it - warm sunny night helped of course.

Played some of my favourites but only played for 90 minutes or so which is a bit short in my book. An encore of two or three songs would have been welcome.