Good Books

I’m sure the debate has been done before but due to my vastly increasing age I’ve decided to try and get to grips with some of the more celebrated modern literary works before I snuff it. I’m listening to In Cold Blood by Capote, I’m a quarter way in or so but need to ask am I fooling myself in terms of enjoying it by listening to it (fairly focused most of the time) rather than reading it like it was meant to be enjoyed originally?

Are audiobooks a cod is what I’m asking, I guess. Maybe they’re more suited to autobiography stuff etc?

It really depends on the narrator. It can really make or break an audio book

2 Likes

Definitely not as good as reading the book but better than not consuming it at all. I don’t think Iv enjoyed many fiction books at all on audio book though

2 Likes

Almost finished Damien Lawlor’s book on the Waterford footballers from years ago.

A grand read. One thing that’s obvious with weaker counties is how much emphasis is placed on their players getting a place on the interprovincial teams. We were beaming with pride when our complete full back line was picked for Connacht.

Waterford football seems woefully supported. Not sure if it’s the same now. @Fagan_ODowd

You’ll enjoy this.

1 Like

Seems like a mad bastard in the book.

The Rangers jersey :relaxed:

1 Like

No bother to him!

I wouldn’t cross the road to see them to be honest farmer, and I played football for the county. The last time I seen them play was the night they played Limerick in a D4 decider in Croke Park. I had tickets for the premium section

2 Likes

And why is that mate?

No interest. And it’s depressing watching them. My Dad used to bring me to watch them playing against the likes of Carlow and Kildare in front of two men and a dog.
Also Waterford City folk don’t usually follow the football. It’s a country thing.

1 Like

Half the crowd had free premium tickets that day. It was the same again this year.

Yeah Powery got them for free.

@Fagan_ODowd I played a bit of association football in UL with a guy called Barry Power, played county football for Waterford I think at the time. Late 90s.

Wrong era - you’re looking at late 60’s here.

3 Likes

Early 70s.

Roddys book is an enjoyable romp with plenty of LOL moments

He’s a likeable fella to be fair to him. Say you’d knock fair craic out of him Myos

Ah he’s a bit of a Lord of the manor there tbf. Wouldn’t be indulging him

Reading Johan Cruyff’s autobiography at the moment. Needless to say he comes across as a right arrogant prick but still fascinating.

This an excellent audiobook. Shocking and informative and nicely read.

1 Like