Graeme Souness

Maldini got that wrong anyway. Virgil has gone to shite

VVD is 31. Never done it at a major finals and hasnt even got 50 caps for his country. This is all bollocks talk. Holland have regularly been battered with him there

That Liverpool team beat Cannavaro’s Juventus up a stick.

Cannavaro never won a Champions League, he never even came close to winning it.

Carragher commanded those two ties against Juventus like a colossus.

3 Likes

I’ll take Maldini’s view over your view pal if that’s ok.

Alan Hansen would have to be in the shake up too.

6 Likes

3 European Cups is unparalleled

I immediately thought Graeme Souness had an heart attack when I saw 100 unread posts. The thread isn’t about the canny Scot at all.
In a classic TFK shimmy the thread has swerved off in another direction. Never change…

3 Likes

No it’s not

I didn’t mention Cannavaro mate

3 European Cups with 8 English league titles is some going.

2 Likes

Beckenbauer has 3 European Cups in a row with Munich as well as a Euros and a World Cup with Germany if lads are going down that road.

The looders are in…

Have a good one lads

OK. By your logic Paolo Maldini conceded three goals in that game in a shambolic defensive performance, therefore he was shit.

It’s unparalleled I’d say.

1 Like

He’s up there with Hansen for sure.

No real centre forwards any more. If van Disney had to deal with a peak drogba, van persie and Henry it would be embarrassing for him.

Eh, no.

You seem to have had a bit of trouble following the conversation. I never said Carragher was shit. I was merely responding to someone saying his performance in the 2005 Champions League Final was one of the best ever.

The fluid attacking systems in use these days make things harder for centre backs. The array of threats is more numerous. The average amount of goals per game has increased. Judgement and technique are more important than ever before. That’s why it’s perceived that there are less great centre backs around these days.

Van Dijk has stood out in this more difficult era which is a testament to his greatness.

For that reason too I’d have Chiellini well ahead of Cannavaro.

1 Like

But a defender can have a great game even if their team concedes three goals, and this theme runs across all field sports.

You see it in GAA too. Seamus Moynihan conceded 1-9 to his direct opponent Oisin McConville in the 2000 All-Ireland semi-final replay yet only an idiot would say that Moynihan wasn’t outstanding in that match.

So too Keith Higgins in the 2014 All-Ireland semi-final replay when his direct opponent James O’Donoghue scored 2-6.

1. Bobby Moore
  2. Frank Beckenbauer
  3. Billy Wright
  4. Daniel Passarella
  5. Franco Baresi
  6. Alan Hansen
  7. Virgil Van Dijk
  8. Frank Rijkaard
  9. Jack Charlton
  10. Terry Butcher