Holiday destinations for the accompanied traveller

If thereā€™s fast passes or anything like that for the Uffizi and the Duomo that you can get in advance get them otherwise youā€™ll be queuing in the sun all day. Alternatively donā€™t go into any of these places and wander around the streets and the Ponte Vecchio and take in the atmosphere. Thatā€™s what I did the last time I was there and it was lovely. Sit outside a cafe for a while. Iā€™d seen the sites many years previously. It is a gorgeous place.

1 Like

Yeah they do but it actually works quite well and clears the ā€œleave a towel down for the dayā€ crowd

2 Likes

Thks for all the suggestions lads . good to know about Verona being a one day trip , maybe I will head to the coast :thinking:

Was in Parma recently, was unreal. Not very touristy at all. Best grub Iā€™ve ever eaten. Can see how Thomas Brolin ballooned leaving there, I did myself.

Florence absolutely incredible. Every minute detail is given thought to design. Just amazingly beautiful.

Pisa decent but bit grubbier than the other 2. If youā€™re single, definitely had noticeably more skirt floating about tho

3 Likes

Did you ate any Parma ham?

Doctor Who Reaction GIF

4 Likes

He prefers Limerick ham

1 Like

I ate like food was going extinct. Put on 6kg over 2 trips there last month!

Was in a tiny village called San Donato for a wedding. Nearly needed wheeling out of the place

1 Like

Plan to just wander about. Heard about the queues for some of the museums. We did that last week in Venice. Just wondered about all the little streets, sat down at cafes and bars. Loved it. Had a look at St Marks Square but wasnā€™t for sitting down there for a drink.

Thatā€™ll be the finest. :+1::+1:

You can stop up at just about any old town in Italy and potter about and itā€™s beautiful.

1 Like

Any of you looking for a good park in Italy thatā€™s not Garadaland, Mirabilandia is a good spot. A few great roller coasters and a good water park. And not an Irish roaster in sight.

We went to Lazise tonight for a bite to eat and a swim. Unreal spot, beautiful buzzing town with multitude of fantastic restaurants looking out on to the lake, highly recommended

1 Like

Fuck it you didnā€™t reply directly to me so only saw this now after I went a month ago :smile:

Looking at cheap flights there to Bordeaux in October. Would you put down a few days there pleasant enough midweek? Looking for nowt but a break and nice food and a walk around

1 Like

Spent a couple of days there at the beginning of a holiday a few years ago. Lovely city to wander around, my main recollection was sitting under canopies eating and drinking wine rather than sightseeing.

If you rent a car, St. Ɖmilion just outside the city is a picturesque village to visit and you can spin around the vineyards from there.

2 Likes

I did 3 or 4 nights in Bordeaux in 2016 as part of a Basque region and south of France vacation. I found it very pleasant indeed, now let me try to remember some specifics. Thereā€™s a fine edifice of a building, a wine museum thatā€™s a big tourist attraction. We knocked a few hours out of that. Nice walks on either side of the river that flows through the city and plenty of restaurant options on the river banks. Good, relaxed vibe. We* had rented a car and spun to Bayonne for a morning and lunch and we took a train to the wine region place Saint Emilion another day and strolled around the town in splendid sunshine stopping to taste wine in various spots. Presume this trip would be without the kids, you wouldnā€™t want them getting in the way of fine dining and wine drinking. We had dinner in a Michelin star restaurant called Le Pavillon des Boulevards on our final night and it was terrific. Iā€™d say go ahead, it would be grand for a few nights.

*my life partner

2 Likes

Was there a few months ago. Nice compact city,
Deffo worth a look, go for it!

1 Like

Weā€™d a big thunder storm first night in Cambrils. Thereā€™s something impressive about proper continental rain with lightning in the mix. We were lucky as the later flight after us from Dublin to Reus was diverted to Barcelona due to the storm

Last night was more rain but weather supposed to be back to normal from now on.

For anybody in the Cambrils area we ate here last night and it was excellent and weā€™ll return - itā€™s a small plates/tapas/paella place

Interestingly they have on their website/menu their staff minimum holidays and monthly pay rates - part of their sustainability policy I guess - Iā€™d not seen that before.

7 Likes

I was looking at that place for next year lately. Would you recommend it? Has good bus connections to Verona too so could take a daytrip there as well.