Holiday destinations for the accompanied traveller

We need the ratio to decide how good of a holdaaaay (T.M. @thelimericks) twil be

Cracking day in PDC, lovely to get a bit of :sunny: into the bones after a long winter

9 Likes

Pop up to Brendan in Dicey Reilly’s

1 Like

Enjoy pal.

I hate sand.

The parents were in Gran Canaria last week. Usually go mid September but it was too hot last year. Said this time of year is perfect. My only two times in Lanzarote were in November and December. Smashing place that time of year

1 Like

It’s been -5 in Granada during the week. Good for a bit of skiing if you want it and close enough for a roaster tan at the beach too.

Good flights to Naples from Shannon this year and we have never been down that coast.

Looking for some pointers for the area on where to stay etc. Probably 10 days

Sorrento- if you do nothing else, book a table outside in this place for an evening meal.

O’Parrucchiano La Favorita

Corso Italia, 71, 80067 Sorrento NA, Italy
+39 081 878 1321 O'Parrucchiano La Favorita - Google Suche

book well in advance if you can to ensure you get outside. It’s basically a walled lemon grove in the middle of town

2 Likes

Cracking sunset in PDC an hour ago

7 Likes

I second that. Unreal setting.

I liked Naples but some hate it.

Sorrento is class. Capri is nice too but massively overpriced for everything

@ciarancareyshurlingarmy

Positano worth a day/1 night. Beautiful but tourist trap. Lovely family restaurants outside the town on top of the hill, Incredible views, lot more reasonable and just as good as the restaurants down in the village.

Amalfi itself gorgeous little town. Again worth an overnight stay and good look around.

We got taxi from Naples to Sorrento which was reasonable, think 100 quid. Then buses/trains from there to Positano/Amalfi/Salerno/Pompeii/Naples.

Couple of days in Naples then which I loved.

1 Like

On no account visit that part of the world and miss Pompeii. One of the most remarkable places in the world. If you can get a private tour. If you need a name let me know and I’ll see if I can find the details of my tour guide.

5 Likes

As the lads say here sorrento is the perfect base for this region. I found Sorrento overly touristy but what can you do it’s near enough south of Naples to day trip it and near enough Positano and Pompeii to their north to day trip them too. As @Fagan_ODowd says pay for a private tour at Pompeii. We got buses or trains everywhere but watch your stops going down to Pompeii and don’t get off the wrong one at night.

I keep reading the headline and all I can visualise is lads going to Portugal accompanied by prison officers

Is there anything to do in Holyhead or it’s environs for a few hours? Young fella mad to go on a day trip on the ferry over the Easter break.

@ceist is there anything to do in Holyhead or its environs for a few hours?

1 Like

As an AI language model, I don’t have access to a real-time database. However, there are some tourist attractions in Holyhead and its environs that you can explore. The Holyhead Maritime Museum is a popular destination, as well as the South Stack Lighthouse and RSPB Reserve. If you have more time, you could also visit the historic Caernarfon Castle or take a scenic drive along the Llŷn Peninsula.

1 Like

Holyhead is an absolute tip. Unbelievable. Bangor is about 40 minutes away. Nice university town. Beaumaris Castle nearby is nice. Caernarfon has an impressive castle. Couple of decent steam railways in Porthmadog and Llanberis. There is also a funicular that goes all the way to the top of Snowdon. Grand part of the world to put in a day. Pwllheli has a nice beach and Betws y Coed is a beauty spot. And there’s the place Llanfair… where he can get photographed beside the longest place name in the world.

Obviously that all requires you to bring the car.

2 Likes

I could tell a legendary story about drinking in Holyhead on the Friday of the gold cup the year sizing John won it. We ended up in a hospital in wales the night before coming back from Cheltenham. Long boring story.

Holyhead is a proper Kip and my friend was discharged early maybe 5 am. We had to get a train from near the hospital to Holyhead. We googled bnbs and we made our way to an Inn called the Dubliner I think. We knocked and there was fella there and we explained our situation. He said there’s no fresh sheets on the beds but we could sleep in there anyway.

About 1 pm I woke up and left my friend too it. I walked out side and asked some fella where would I get a nice steak. He points at the local Chinese. This place is a proper shit hole.

Anyway I went back to this pub I’m nearly sure it was called the Dubliner or something like that. The fella behind the counter was about a bear. About 6 foot 5 or so tanned and built like a horse.

He was telling me he used to get the ferry across to Dublin for bear knuckle fights. Himself and his brother had been in Iraq too. You just knew they were able to look after themselves.

I was well on it by the gold cup and his brother joined me. Decent skin too but not as sound as the brother behind the Bar. I went asking him a bit about Iraq and he wasn’t having it. The ferry’s were getting cancelled due to high wind and it was down to the last one at 9pm.

Anyway I’ll never forget it as it was much as I ever laughed by about 5 pm there was a few in this pub. Next minute my dazed friend joined me. He was sour as fuck. I was getting phone calls from people wondering were we ok etc etc.

Anyway the door bursts open and an Elton John type creature walks. In a sort of leather outfit with bleeched hair.

Without saying anything else he roars: “that bird you set me up with last week was a bloody lady boy” in a thick welsh accent.

The lad behind the counter replies: did it suck your dick? Yes so don’t be coming back complaining to me”

I honestly fell on the floor laughing.

I was gutted the final sail got the go ahead but I always wanted to return to meet those two brothers again because they were sound out.

I’ll never forget that trip. I ended up in Dublin late on paddy’s night. The next day Ireland were playing England in the rugby. Keith earls got man of the match.

10 Likes

In the alternative you could bring the young lad to the Dubliner pub for the day and you’d have a right owl time.

5 Likes