Holiday destinations for the accompanied traveller

Anyone had a wander down the Welsh coastline?

@LionelRitchie very Irish observation, topless beaches :slight_smile:

Scandinavian topless a different game altogether.

1 Like

Christ lads, there must be a lot of worried parents watching their teenagers head off abroad the past couple of weeks or so

https://twitter.com/dubslife1/status/1677247700746608640

Some day Iā€™ll go to Aarhus, and see his peat brown head. The mild caps of his eyes lids. His pointed skin cap

1 Like

Sure they could be doing that outside a chipper in a midland town and it would be all the one.

1 Like

Just finished up four nights in Hafan Y Mor Haven holiday park in Wales. Great spot for kids, activities a go go nice pool and slides. Like a slightly down-market version of centre parcs. One hour from Holyhead. Great job firing everything in the car and heading off on the ferry.
Think it was recommended on here so thanks for that.
For next year going to go to one of these campsite holiday park type places in mainland Europe. Kids 11 and 8. Any recommendations?

4 Likes

Better drugs in Ireland

Iā€™ve had great breaks in and around Pwllheli.

European campsite recommendations depend on whether you are flying or getting the ferry. Thereā€™s only so far south you can get from the ferry driving without the thing becoming a trial. The Loire Valley was as far south as I would go. Very good campsites there, one in St Catherine de Fierbois in particular but you are not guaranteed the weather there. You really have to go to the Mediterranean for that.

Yeah would be interested in hearing all the pros and cons really. Presume itā€™s been discussed before but itā€™s a broad topic!

How many children have you? Hiring a seven seater on the continent can be ludicrously expensive.

Two

Then Iā€™d say fly drive is the best option. Opens up Spain and Italy as possibilities as well as the south of France. Some of the chaps here highly recommended a campsite near Barcelona cc @TheUlteriorMotive @Juhniallio or @Spidey i think

1 Like

France is supposed to be gone very pensive for that type of holiday. Most seem to be heading all the way down to Northern Spain.

Youā€™d probably want three weeks and a camper van to make it worth your while though.

Weā€™ve done Union Lido and Praā€™delle Torri before. Both about 45 mins from different airports near Venice. All very self contained with everything youā€™d need on site. The Adriatic Sea in that part of Italy is glorious. Both have gone very expensive post Covid like most campsites.

Weā€™re currently in an apartment complex in Lanzarote and a bunch of other folks we know are here with kids mostly the same ages as ours. Its absolute bliss. The kids spend the day playing together. We did the same last year and weā€™re getting a 3-4 week stint here for cheaper than what 10 days in most the European campsites were. We never thought this is what weā€™d be choosing but it just works and is so easy and the kids love it.

2 Likes

Loads of option in France

I am currently in a place called les mathesā€¦about an hour south of la rochelle. Accomodation is above average Vs most camps iv been to buy was a bit more expensiveā€¦good slides and a fine pool here and the young lad has already gotten himself into the evening soccer match

2 Likes

Good going, particularly if itā€™s a predominently continental affair. The young pasty fella in the county jersey often gets shtung with an extended shift in goals in these types of engagements, if admitted at all.

2 Likes

All foreign lads, when they realised he wasnā€™t french they spoke English to him tbf. Heā€™d love to be in goals appears to be a popular gig with kids nowadays

He was on the phone to his nana there and he told her heā€™d been ā€œscoutedā€ by the French kids for the game

7 Likes

Iā€™ve often given this advice and in spite of it we are going camping in France again this year, one week each in Brittany and Normandy

Butā€¦ā€¦ if I had the choice I would go back to the South Coast of England, haven sites in Dorset and Cornwall were both off the chain
I like France but Iā€™m not gone on the people, not all obviously

We like Brittany, especially because when youā€™re camping you donā€™t want heat in the mid 30s
Our favourite French site was in Benodet, a couple of hours from Roscoff and close to Quimper which is a class small city

2 Likes

Last night in Bella Italia on the shores on Lake Garda. Wonderful week, as mental as can be expected with an almost 4 and almost 6 year old.

You canā€™t beat Italy, ever. Highlight of the week hiring out a pedalo and letting the lads build up their swimming confidence in the lake.

Almost time to start planning next yearā€™s trip.

6 Likes