Holiday destinations for the accompanied traveller

Lake Garda is Italy

3 Likes

I’ve a colleague going back today ( I think) from there. We were at a smaller campsite a few km away last week. A brilliant place. Would be tempted to just go back there again.

1 Like

What was the smaller campsite? The best thing about Bella Italia is the restaurants. I’d be more inclined to spend time in the lake that the pools.

eh ? Lake Garda and the north has zero to do with Puglia or Calabria

Camp Butterfly. It’s about a tenth of the size I think as Bella Italia, so just has one pool complex, one restaurant etc, but loads of space for our little wan. The lake was out the front gate (I finished a few morning runs with a swim in there). There were restaurants all around the place as well and maybe a 10-15 minutes walk to Peschiera.

1 Like

Got the French toll tag. Game changer for the lone driver.

1 Like

What’s it like going abroad with kids that age? I’ve two but they’re younger than that and we are wondering when we can take them abroad that it’s not a total chore. I was thinking the youngest would nearly want to be three before we leave the country with them. We’ve only done holidays at home so far and to be honest that has been crazy enough without factoring in the stress of flying and going round an unfamiliar place with two head cases in tow.

1 Like

I hired a seven seater in France last year for a fortnight for the same price as one week in Ireland. I’m toying with the idea of driving home next year and taking the ferry. Stopping off in Northern France for a few days going/coming back.

My two are absolute nutters at the best of times so you’re not going to be doing any relaxing, that’s for when one if the Grannys or Aunties takes them for a few days to give you a break.

5.5 year old was grand, 3.5 year old was a different story. When from tantrum to tantrum, caused by upset to his regukar routine and eating habits. Got easier as the week went on.

The main aim was to make happy memories and last Saturday morning having the two of them bouncing off the back of the pedalo gave us that in bucketloads.

The longer you put the first one off the longer you’ll be waiting for stuff like that.

1 Like

If you can convince family members to join for parts of the holiday it’s a gamechanger. We had a granny, and an aunt + cousin helping us oversee a 2 year old on a French campsite last year and it was bliss.

I’ll be honest the flights nearly killed us though. DUB T1 in peak summer is no place for a toddler.

2 Likes

It’s worth paying the €7.99 per person for express security. We flew through.

Security wasn’t really an issue tbf - with a small child they allow you skip the queue anyways - not sure what the age limit on that is but we were through very quickly.

1 Like

We’re on the last few days of Bella italia with an 8 and 2 year old and two other families. We all went to the same place last year too. While last week was grand with a few thunderstorms at night to keep temperatures in check, it’s gotten very hot this week.
2 year old has been in great form which is a godsend. Having pescheira nearby means you don’t get cabin fever at the camp. We’re just back from a meal there, watching a 30 piece orchestra in main square and kids playing in the fountains to cool down while we sipped away. Hard bet.
Taking a chance heading to Venice tomorrow but leaving early and only planning 4-5 hours there.
Wouldn’t mind checking out France next year.

3 Likes

Did the Fast Track at Dublin too and the Verona airport lets kids under 6 skip the queue too.

One of the small bonuses of having just one kid is that there’s just one set of tantrums. Our lass absolutely loved the whole airport experience as it was totally new to her. She was excited to show her passport off and the flight was very smooth experience for her.

1 Like

The orchestras and choirs that perform on random nights in Italian towns… I am jealous now.

1 Like

Hmmmm …

Per chance, were you at the kids club there one morning?

No we rarely went there as we have 7 kids with us who all entertain each other. Must have been another sound cunt you met

4 Likes

I was going to compliment you on your Hawaiian shirt if it was.

@Flano was there too? :open_mouth:

1 Like

Thinking of doing 5 days abroad in mid august. Can get cheap enough middle of the day flights into Nantes

Anyone any recommendations of anywhere close by on the coast in Brittany?