Holiday destinations for the accompanied traveller

Staying close to Granville, Avronche nearby, about 40k from Mont StMichel

Avranches is an interesting town. Stayed there once. Key town in the Battle for Normandy. General Patton distinguished himself there as usual.
Otherwise and apart from Mont St Michel I wouldnā€™t know that side of the peninsula well at all.

1 Like

In may youā€™d probably need to go to the cambrils or similar in Barcelona direction to get better weather

2 Likes

Raguenes plage?

That was around Clohars, Le Kerou beach, lovely spot in the weather we had.
My most timid daughter is just after singing a Taylor Swift song at the karaoke here in Normandy and Iā€™m not able to be honest, so proud

6 Likes

We did an afternoon and evening at Omaha Beach after a morning at the pool,
They have rightly monetised the D-Day stuff but itā€™s an amazing experience, we went to the Overlord museum, the most incredible collection of authentic WW2 vehicles, machinery, weaponry etc, very interesting,
Then onto the American cemetery which is really eye opening, the amount of crosses/stars is just unbelievable when you see them
Then a swim in Omaha beach itself which is bloody impressive, goes on for miles, the agricultural land and the small villages up there seem to have history pouring out of them, we stopped to see the steeple of John Steele from the longest day

2 Likes

That sounds like a great day out in fairness.

Just arrived at the hotel in Estoril itā€™s :hot_face:

5 Likes

Currently in Elizondo / Navarra and depending what you do, you can cross over into France and back. Stunning countryside which would be very similar to Irish countryside. Totally different to the south of Spain. Top drawer food and drink.

4 Likes

I was supposed to be in Italy today, but circumstances meant I had to just not travel as of yesterday.
Herself sending me photos of the public swimming pool in her village. The Italian version of leisureland

13 Likes

Stunning

Itā€™s not improving my humour looking at them :slightly_frowning_face::slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Just back today from a fortnight in Brittany and Normandy,
Now we were incredibly lucky with the weather which made it, two beautiful campsites, one on the beach and the other a short drive, incredible facilities in both,
It may be the last big family holiday with the oldest for a while, she has other interests which is understandable I suppose though she tried to play ball as much as possible.
I was pleasantly surprised by the French on this trip, they appeared much friendlier than any time weā€™ve been there before,
The food was only so so, I had the argument here recently that I think the food scene in France is completely overrated and I stick by that.
Anyway we had a lovely time, campsites are an ideal location in the good weather

Got myself a present of the Rennes jersey, I had been admiring it on loads of people but couldnā€™t make out who it was, Iā€™m not a jersey man but itā€™ll do for 5 a side and the odd Cork match, Rennes is twinned with Cork, I went to primary and secondary school on Avenue de Rennes (notions in Mahon :grinning:)

10 Likes

Another cracking day just after a Pastel del Nata and a large :beer: in Brasileira do Chiado

8 Likes

Anyone ever been to Carcassonne?

I have. Good for 2 nights really
Rented a car and hit the coast after that

1 Like

Just home from Lisbon thankfully wasnā€™t caught up in the UK ATC meltdown, see a load of flights in and out of DUB were cancelled

1 Like

I saw this post at the time and said I will look into it. I got the Ulys tag. This is an absolute game changer (apart from getting rode senseless by the frogsā€¦115 euro and counting and I have to drive home from the south of France yet) Thanks for the advice

1 Like

I got the bip and go tag. Great yoke. 155 yoyos spent on tolls though.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s steep. In what time frame?