Holiday destinations for the accompanied traveller

during the summer they can be, some areas are grand

Havenā€™t looked into it that deeply yet. Thereā€™s YouTube videos of folk on some of the various routes you can take. A lot of them are very expensive theyā€™d be trains you sleep on and have fine dining. Iā€™d be more interested in maybe steam trains between certain locations rather than sleeping on them. It would depend on if the price was right.

1 Like

Inverness looks like a grand spot for a fella like me

The trains in Italy are off the hook. Mussolini got one thing right

We went to the Highlands for New Year a number of times. Friends live just outside Oban. Very cold, great fun. Absolutely beautiful.
Our mates brought us up the cable car in Ben Nevis. They were dressed for it. We werenā€™t. I was pushing a buggy. At the top I saw a restaurant with a Guinness sign, so I was sorted. The kids took tea trays from the restaurant and flew down the slopes. Very enjoyable for all.

1 Like

Myself and Mrs Barnes are heading to Lisbon for 3 nights at the end of the month. Some restaurant bar and general stuff to do recommendations would be appreciated. @Spidey i think you were there recently?

2 Likes

Time Out Market is one evening put down easily.

Tis a gorgeous city to stroll aimlessly around looking for nothing in particular but that doesnā€™t often suit most people

1 Like

Plenty to see.
Se Cathedral
Jeronimos Monastery ( check opening times though)
King Georges castle (great view of the city)
Stadium of light
Belem tower also thereā€™s a good military museum near there.

Good metro system get yereselves tickets itā€™s a direct connection from the airport

Food wise I remember an outstanding Brazilian buffet near Sporting Lisbon on campo grande Churrasquira de Campo Grande but thereā€™s a great variety of eateries ye wonā€™t be hungry.

Word of advice have a cupla focal ready at a momentā€™s notice. If Lisbon has a downside itā€™s the never ending stream of scammers looking to sell you this and that, I found continually babbling back in something they canā€™t comprehend they clear off pretty quick.

2 Likes

Have you ever read any of Paul Therouxā€™s books? An uncle if I remember right of Louis Theroux. Travel writer, where possible by train. Heā€™d write a book on travelling a large piece of earth, then return sometimes a score of years later to do it again, with of course a significant change in culture, landscape and perspective. His writing on China was impressive.

Edit: Louisā€™s father, Iā€™ve learned.

2 Likes

Was there between Christmas and the New Year pal. Good ol spot to just ramble around and wouldnā€™t be hung up on ticking the box on a few spots but places above worth a look.
That 28 Tram is a load of rubbish. Folks queuing for 2 hours to get on a tram that brings you across the city. You could walk, cycle it as easy. Parque Eduardo VII good for a stroll around and always something on there.
Download the bolt app before you go. Taxis via this are extremely cheap and handy when thereā€™s a load of hills to navigate.

Time out is good for a few hours to graze away and have a beer or two. It is expensive in comparison to streets outside but itā€™s grand and compact. Do a lap of the stalls first to pick out your grub and then order. Pink street is close to it for a walk and a few photos. Java rooftop is close by too for a drink and views over bay.

Solar da Bacalhau was the best restaurant we were at. Great seafood and plenty of meat options. Thereā€™ll be a bit of music playing on the square outside. Antikuario was quality too.
Plenty of little cafes for pastel de natas which are good everywhere. Sky bar by seen is decent for late night cocktails.

5 Likes

Thanks a million fellas. Mrs Barnes is going to think Iā€™m Bill bryson.

5 Likes

The last time I was in Lisbon I was stranded with the volcanic ash cloud. Weā€™re going to Cascais in July so weā€™ll head into Lisbon a couple of days

Yay

@MountLeinster celebrating public transport

You here??

Considering the other day you were cheerleading an Israeli Einsatzgruppen enthusiast I thought you might do the decent thing for a while.

Fantastic chat with the local publican there. Booked his first ever flight during the week so I asked him ā€œwhere are you off to?ā€

ā€œIā€™m going to Spainā€

ā€œAh Spain is lovelyā€ I answered. ā€œWhich bit are you hitting?ā€

ā€œPortugalā€ he answered

16 Likes

You literally couldnā€™t make it up. Portugal is a top, top part of Spain to be fair.

Whatā€™s the lowdown on centre parcsā€¦ Where should we be booking?

Longford

Their website

2 Likes

Top tipā€¦ donā€™t book any expensive holidays or trips with the kids before they are 7 or 8. They wonā€™t remember a bit of them.

3 Likes