Holiday destinations for the accompanied traveller

There used to be a show on it in the evening. Irish dancing and what not in a huge open room with a massive bar.

When I boarded I’d usually go up on deck and watch the last cars racing for the boat. Don’t know how people live like that, last minute.com.

Twas coming home we got caught.

It’s lovely though sailing out in the evening. I used to always fill on match magazines and premier league previews as we’d go in the middle of August.

The boat was good craic for a youngster. You’d a couple of restaurants and plenty of arcades along with going on deck.

You wouldn’t notice the time going by. Invariably you’d just wake up get breakfast and then you’d be on your way again.

3 Likes

I never found it an ordeal. Most relaxing part of the holiday at times. Bit of grub, few pints and retire to the cabin for a good nights kip. Much more relaxing than trying to get through an airport and being snarled at by the Ryanair Kampcommandant.
Getting to the South of France by car would require at least one and preferably two nights stopping. If you picked your stops well you could have a grand evening in a nice French town.

Plus loading up your car with cheap hooch on the way back is one of the great perks of Ferry travel. I’m sure @BruidheanChaorthainn has happy memories of sitting on a box of Cotes de Rhone on his way back from Cork to Limerick

8 Likes

the boat is the beginning of the holiday in fairness, its enjoyable

1 Like

Did it for years when the kids were young. Brittanyy Ferries from Cork was the best of the routes. As yoy say the holiday starts when you drive onto the boat. Went mad one year and drove from Roscoff to San Seabastan.

3 Likes

Indeed I do. That was the big thing for my dad. Load the car up with wine coming home.

It is your holiday. You only get there and you have to come back

2 Likes

Much appreciated - kinda fits with my memories of doing it as a kid or the Holyhead ones. I’ll aim for check in 90 mins or so ahead.

I’d tend to agree with some of the memories here about it being part of the holiday - certainly was when we were kids anyway.

Heading for il du re. Stopping for a night in Nantes on the way down so drive very manageable. Roscoff would be good but hard to look past the convenience of a ferry port 20 mins from your front door.

I was already delighted to be skipping airport hell but extra happy not to be worried about Aer Lingus etc.

3 Likes

How do you find driving RHD car on continent.

Never had an issue before. Drove from UK to Tuscany ten years ago for a wedding with no problems

1 Like

The last car on is allowed to skip past all the other cars and park at the very front of the boat?? And on the correct deck, wow

The boat is grand, but it’s a long time and there’s very little to do really

You’d want to be going for three weeks to drive to the south…or stay on a few campsites on way down to break it up. The ferry is a part of the holiday it is zero hassle

3 Likes

This place well worth a visit in Nantes

1 Like

It broke down while we were on it and couldn’t get off for a few hours :grinning:

3 Likes

Thanks! Saw it online but great to hear it’s worth it. Reckon it’s perfect for the kids

There is loads inside there aside from the elephant…cool spot

The old town of Nantes is fantastic as well, definitely worth a couple of hours strolling, beautiful botanical gardens also which I think are close to the big elephant

1 Like

Signing in Phil.

Great recommendation.

14 Likes