Holiday destinations for the accompanied traveller

Been a few years since we were in down there, couple of decent restaurants to visit in Biarritz are La Table Basque or La Goulue. Saint Jean De Luz is a lovely town, much safer beach for swimming with big selection of restaurants. Great place for fresh fish as well.

With a car you should take a trip inland as well to see some gorgeous Basque villages, Ainhoa, Esplette, Cambo Les Bains, and take the small train up La Rhune mountain for great views
(https://maps.app.goo.gl/J5iAYCCo9zpEENhB7).

San Sebastian is a great city, huge choice of tapas bars where you can eat fairly cheaply with quality grub in most places. Yep take the funicular up Monte Igueldo for class views of the city and bay.

2 Likes

Cheers, really appreciate it

1 Like

Second the suggestion to visit Ainhoa. Lovely little village on the border. There was a little cake factory not too far away but I didnā€™t do the tour. I had some banter en francais with the guy on reception about Munster rubby. Itā€™s rubby cuntree down there.

1 Like

No proper summer respite for second year running so weā€™ve taken the plunge and brought himself as well. Otherwise we were all staying at home again this year.

His first time flying. We had fast track special assistance all the way through the airport and staff were great. Like a war zone getting him through the airport. Grizzled old airport worker who whisked us through was saying to me, heā€™d never seen anything like it. Combat levels of stress. Over tired from early start, overwhelmed by airport and fear of flying. It was looking up until 20 minutes ago like Iā€™d be going home with him, but heā€™s seated calmly enough now and take off in 5 minutes.

Weā€™re heading to a campsite outside Biarritz, which heā€™s really excited about. Itā€™s the getting there bitā€¦

40 Likes

Best of luck with it. It sounds like you might be over the worst of it. I hope you all have a great holiday.

4 Likes

You got lucky, it was 40 odd degrees around there the other day.

Going to Washington and Boston for 4 days in each city in Sept

Any recommendations?

1 Like

Hope all goes well Dan.

2 Likes

Fair play to you Dan, hope all goes well and the family enjoy the break.

1 Like

Aviation museum in DC. Itā€™s unreal.
Hire bikes and cycle down from Lincoln memorial to White House. Georgetown nice to walk about for food and drinks.

Legal Seafood in Boston for proper roaster seafood portions. Faneuil Hall food market in Boston. Fenway.

1 Like

Iā€™ve lit a candle for ye. Hope ye have a blast

1 Like

Best wishes Dan. Hope all goes well.

1 Like

Hope ye have a lovely holiday Dan. Well deserved

1 Like

Washington is a fabulous city. The Smithsonianā€™s are fabulous museums. The African American one is very popular and although free you need to book a time slot in advance. The Natural History is amazing. Has a grand restaurant downstairs too. The obvious memorials are monumental in scale, Lincoln and Washington. But there are others like the Vietnam, Korean and Iwo Jima that are well worth visiting and also visit Kennedyā€™s grave in Arlington. There is so much detail in these memorials that it is worth getting a guided tour of the city, in my opinion.

3 Likes

Take the subway or whatever they call it to Cambridge and visit Harvard.

2 Likes

Weā€™re not far away on the Costa Brava,
Weather is good, tipping around 30degrees but no higher, nice breeze and occasional cloud cover to get reset.
Good luck with the young lad, have a ball

2 Likes

Rain on the way!

Overcast now but not so bad

3 Likes

Needs to be posted on your Instagram with ā€œfirst of the dayā€ ā€œliving the dreamā€ or ā€œmy office for the weekā€ and some Bressie type + quote!

3 Likes

Youā€™re fairly cultured in fairness for a fella whoā€™s become synonymous with skittery shites and people not wiping their hole properly