Holiday destinations for the accompanied traveller

yeah I wouldnt be pushed on going there as a holiday per se. Grand for a honeymoon and you want to relax a bit. Never really get to explore the area or do proper sightseeing and get to know the country. It was all accompanied and very much segregated from the locals.

The mainstream media will be calling for this site to be shut down for three months when they see that posters are writing about honeymoons in Mauritius on the seventh anniversary of Michaela Harteā€™s death.

Iā€™d be happy with a nice 5 star in lanzarote or Tenerife Mick. Shorter flight and similar temperatures.
If you find a nice villa in a nice complex ( preferably gated) itā€™s all the one where you are. Is your mother going with ye ?

cc @Bandage

I plan on going somewhere for two weeks next winter and want to lie on a beach for and eat all round me for 10 days and maybe do 3 or 4 days of activities in the middle. Hence why I was thinking Mauritius and a few days in Reunion.

Sri Lanka and the Maldives is another option or an African safari followed by Zanzibar or the Seychelles. Although I am not too pushed on the safari as I spent a decent amount of time in South Africa previously and thought the wildlife parks were shit and Lions are awfully lazy fuckers.

If thatā€™s all you want to do go to cancun or somewhere would be much less expensive and weather would be ok. Not roasting but mid 20s id say.

I have been to Mexico previously

Iā€™ve been to paradise but iā€™ve Never been to Me

Xico *

• strike that reverse it.

• just worked out why Xico (bar on Baggot St) is called that

In that case then Mauritius or Reunion or somewhere like that would probably fit the bill. Have you been to Cape Town? If you flipped it a little from 10 days beach and 3/4 days activities to more 7/7 then you could do 3/4 days in Cape Town with a little trip down along the Cape of Good Hope and inland to the wine region (Iā€™m sure you and your good lady would love some wine tasting tours in Franschhoek and Stellenbosch) and then the beach part for a week before or afterwards. I really really really liked Cape Town.

Ok then, 2018 holidays are up for planning.

What do we have on Croatia? June timeframe

Travelling around or one place with some short excursions?

Iā€™ve been to Dubrovnik, Split and Hvar. Have not done the north (Zagreb). Iā€™d highly recommend Dubrovnik to you if bringing just the wife or the wife and kids. I thought Split to be a dirty, smelly shit hole. Full of back backing tourists. Hvar then is like an Ibiza type place, stay away. Itā€™ll be scolding hot in June. You wouldnā€™t put down a week in Dubrovnik though. Three nights would maybe be the most of it. Public transport is awful out of Dubrovnik by the way, only by winding roads for miles and miles. You could rent a car.

Or get a ferry to any of the islands

Open to ideas. Would likely travel and drive.

Remind me next week when my mate Lovre gets back. Heā€™s on a quick visit home.

We did Kilimanjaro, safari and Zanzibar over Christmas and New Years about 10 years ago. Donā€™t think it was a great time to go there (Zanzibar). The weather was fairly patchy as it was the end of the rainy season. Not too much rain but windy enough, not really beach weather

1 Like

Fly to Dubrovnik, stay a few nights then rent a car and drive down through Montenegro, staying in or near Kotor for a few nights and then on to Budva for a few nights of craic

1 Like

Went to Zadar couple of years ago. Sensational old city built on an island. Beautiful. Youā€™d put down a couple of great days there with the missus then boat on up the coast.

2 Likes

My next holiday with my life partner will be to Italy in August, not sure where though. My sister and her fella holidayed in Sorrento and loved it. Iā€™d quite like to go to Sicily for some reason and take in that village where the Godfather was filmed in. Was it worthwhile going there @Bandage and did you go to that village Corleone i think itā€™s called? How would you rate Tuscany @ciarancareyshurlingarmy?

1 Like

I have been to tuscany two of the last three summers and I love the place.

I was looking out over the walls at sunset one evening last summer in san gimignano with some junior cchas. An old Italian lad who had been sitting on a bench behind us walked over and waved his arms in true italian-style at the wonderful landscape saying ā€œah, la bella Toscanaā€. We could only respond with ā€œsi, si, molto bellaā€ and shake his hand.

3 Likes

Great story

1 Like