Holiday destinations for the accompanied traveller

Looks deadly. I see itā€™s close on the map to Siena, have you been there? Iā€™ve got an ex colleague from Greece and one of his favorite places is Siena. Where do you fly in and out of to get to San Gimignano and i assume iā€™d need to rent a car?

Unreal spot. Hot and busy in August tho.

1 Like

Fly into Florence or Pisa. Godā€™s country.

1 Like

Sorrento is fantastic but very expensive. Would highly recommend both Sicily and Sardinia. Much more laid back than Sorrento and not as focused on fleecing tourists. The Tuscany area is unreal though, would recommend hiring a car and spinning between the numerous beautiful towns and cities dotted around the place. Donā€™t think you can fly direct to Florence from Dublin but Ryanair fly to Pisa which is little over an hour from Florence

3 Likes

Pisa to Florence is very accessible by train. The airport is linked to the city centre station and you can get your connecting train to Florence then.

I have a brief overview of and suggested itinerary for Tuscany over on the lone traveler thread for some reason - do a ā€œSan Gimignanoā€ search and youā€™ll get it. Highlights for me were Florence itself, the countryside south of it in that middle part of Tuscany like San Jimmy and Siena, and some of the little places north of Pisa like Lucca and Viareggio. I had a driver and I think youā€™d need to rent a car to get the best from the place and to see the smaller places. Otherwise thereā€™s public transport to get between the main cities/towns.

I was in Sicily last summer but didnā€™t bother with The Godfather sites in the end. I enjoyed it too - presumably thereā€™s a similar overview on this thread - but it was more gritty or something. Tuscany just has that elegance and class Iā€™d associate with myself and yourself.

2 Likes

Greatest country in the world

4 Likes

Without doubt

Just a shame itā€™s full of Italians.

1 Like

Spot the Muldoons here :joy:

Without doubt.

Iā€™d love to go to Naples for a day just to see if itā€™s really as much of a shithole as they make out in Gommarah. Seems to be no end of abandoned buildings for them to film in

The waterfront area of Naples is beautiful. Itā€™s also an hours drive to the Amalfi coast which is breathtaking. The urban sprawl of Naples is a bit of a shithole alright.

Tropea looks beautiful but is quite hard to get to.

Tuscany is wonderful. Stayed in a hilltop village near Montepulciano, Montalcino and Siena. Flew into Ryanair Rome and drove up. Youā€™d need a car to get anything out of a Tuscan holiday.

1 Like

Would you chance the Italian backroads home after a few spritzers?

I didnā€™t.

Iā€™m trying to come up with ideas for a 1 (one) week holiday in early May. Outside Ireland but donā€™t want to travel too far and donā€™t want the destination to be too hot. Would Iceland be any use? Looking for somewhere different to well worn France, Italy and Spain paths.

If you havenā€™t been to Berlin I think itā€™s the best city in Europe that Iā€™ve been to and you could put down four nights there the finest. If you wanted to stretch it to a week thereā€™s a few nice medieval towns in Germany you could visit as well.

1 Like

Have you ever been to Germany?