Holiday destinations for the accompanied traveller

*affects

@Horsebox, did you spend any time in that hippy / druggy / commune / self regulated Christiania place? I’d say you did, you divil. I was down there for a few hours yesterday. An interesting cultural experience.

A shithole.

I didn’t bother, mate. Had heard shit things about so we gave it a miss.

Hipster scared of actual hippies shocker

Any ideas for a honeymoon in Ireland lads? Wife wants to see more of the country. Excluding…

-> Galway (already been)
-> Dublin (we’ll be there for a night before the flight and she doesn’t like cities)
-> Cork (already been obviously)

For what’s it worth, she liked Galway and found Cork city/esst cork so-so. West Cork would be good but I’d say she liked to go further afield. It will be a few days total and no car. Was think Donegal but it’s a good bit away, Cork to Donegal then Donegal to Dublin for the flight.

Belfast

1 Like

Head up to the Inishowen peninsula and then take the car ferry from Greencastle across to near Coleraine. Take in the Giants Causeway. Head down the Antrim coast road (a thing of beauty) and into Belfast. Take in a walking tour and maybe the Titanic museum and then a handy run down to Dublin Airport. You won’t be sorry.

2 Likes

Apologies lads, no car and my license will be useless by that stage anyway.

Are you relying on public transport???

Dingle is the place, Kenmare as well,
We stayed in the honeymoon suite in the Skellig for a few nights after our wedding ten years ago, we had a small baby and lots of family home from around the world so stayed close to home, the skellig is s good spot and you’ve some great hotels in Kenmare as well

1 Like

Absolutely anywhere in this weather. This is God’s country.

1 Like

Yeah reliant on public transport.

She would like Killarney but I’m not sure I could stomach all those Americans and the exorbitant prices. Dingle is a good shout.

I second Kenmare and dingle, I found the range and quality of food in kenmare to be exceptional!! Have you been to inisboffin in Galway??

The West Limerick Way.A few hours in Adare, onto Curraghchase, stop in askeaton to take in the castle and the abbey. Onto to Foynes to the flying boat museum. Glin Castle to see McNulty, Rathkeale for the palatine museum and a bit of traveller watching and finish in NCW for a pint and a row

1 Like

Funny to think mcnulty would be the quietest part of that

1 Like

Irish license? You can renew it.

You’d be absolutely mad to do any holiday, but particularly a honeymoon, in Ireland without a car. I’d recommend the Dingle Peninsula in a heartbeat, but you won’t see much of it from Dingle itself. I suppose ye could cycle it?

Aran islands (the big one Inis Mor). You don’t need a car. People rent bikes over there. You just need to get to Doolin for the ferry, there’s buses there. You cant sail from Doolin though Oct-March I think it is, but can sail from Galway year round. Doolin worthy of a night before hand.

2 Likes

You need proof of residence, bills or a pay slip now.

This…

Jaysus your options are limited without a car outside Dublin unless you used Dublin or Cork etc as a base and organized day trips with the bus or train?
Or you could just chill out in the one place. Was up around Croagh Patrick and it’s some spot on out towards the coast but you need a car. Not sure how safe it would be for cycling.
I’d be nervous cycling anywhere that isn’t a cycle path in Ireland these days.
If you’re into mountain biking there would be a few good options too.