Holiday destinations for the accompanied traveller

@glasagusban happy to import and export viruses he pretends to care about preventing.

So insincere.

Yep. Spent 10 days there about 7 years back. Nicest countryside you’d ever visit.

Torres del Paine trek for 5 days.

El Chaltain as well.

Flew into Usuhia. Not much there unless you intend to go on an Antarctic cruise.

There are a lot of bus journeys involved across bleak countryside as well as lots of crossing the Chile/Argentina border. They hate each other down there. There have been a lot of land grabs due to mineral wealth.

3 Likes

Would you be advised to book some form of a tour or would you be better off putting it all together yourself?

We* put it together ourselves. I kept a diary of the details. I’ll pull it out later.

*Mrs Pox

If I was able to go travelling outside of Ireland again, it would be my no.1 destination.

3 Likes

Did El Calafate which is close to the Perito Moreno glacier which is amazing, you can do tours where you go out on the glacier (I never did this, but seemed class). Could head up to El Chalten then for some hiking up to Mount Fitzroy, would love to head back.

18 Likes

By God….Stunning.

Class thanks a million. I’ve two weeks leave to use by April and would love to go there. If I take the two weeks at the end of march I could take a week from next year’s leave cycle and stretch it to three weeks.

By god

Argentina is a fair trek for only two weeks

El Chalten and surrounds is pure class. Was there for a week a few years ago, could have spent a month. Flew into El Cafate from BA and spent a few days there, went to the Perito Moreno glacier (the glacier hike is good, worth it imo if you have never done that type of thing before). Then got the bus up El Chalten.

Ended up crossing over to Puerto Madryn after that which was grand but I regret not doing the Rute 40 trip up to El Bolson.

The scenery is absolutely incredible.

8 Likes

We went there the 2nd week of March. We were told it was the last week for trekking as the winter snows were coming in.

Flew to Ushuia, then buses to Puntas Arenas and Puerto Natales over a day and a bit.

Rented tents and cooking equipment and did 4 days trekking the “W” in Torres del Paine. One of the best things I’ve ever done.

Hit then to El Cafatate and a bus ride to see Petit Moreno. One of the few advancing glaciers in the world.

Off to El Chatain then which is overshadowed by fitzroy mountain. As @PhattPike says it is the nicest town we were in there. There is a great 25k trek there.

A 28 hour bus journey Barilroche. Always book “Cama”. Arrived there for St Patrick’s day. The place was gone mad but we were the only Irish there.

Hit across the border to Chile again but it wasn’t as nice. Osorno and Concepcion.

4 Likes

On the face of it the bus journeys over there seem crazy. Did a few trips that were 15+ hours. But I don’t remember any of them being in any way an ordeal. Think I slummed it in semi-cama, but I was in my 20s. :sweat_smile:

Do you mean Osorno rather than Osbourne? Stopped there for a few hours to get a bus to Pucón. Would recommend Pucón - was there for Paddy’s Day myself actually.

1 Like

Yeah, predictive text stung me. There is a volcano in Pucon IIRC. Chile is a lot grubbier than Argentina. Amazing contrast in the people, infrastructure and culture with just an imaginary line on a map.

Villarrica is the volcano there, trekked some of it, wasn’t able to make the summit due to blizzards.

The towns in that part of the world are probably tidier on the Argentinian side alright. Bariloche in particular even has a German/Swiss vibe to it. Found the Chileans a bit more reserved than the Argentinians. Still loved both countries though, the last stint of my trip was up north in the Atacama which was sensational.

That would put the kibosh on my planned timing.

I was there in late Feb / early March and the sun was splitting the stones, so I doubt the change would be that sudden by the end of March. Might be a factor for doing Torres del Paine alright as the hike involves camping but the big ones in El Chalten are day hikes without any great gain in elevation.

1 Like

Tony H is scoffing at your plans already.

You’ll be going nowhere

1 Like

Fluvio supports travel restrictions which have been proven not to work and is against vaccination which has been proven to work.

:smiley:

2 Likes

You’re misrepresenting me again.

Are you a multi of The Doxxer?