Holidays

Could you not get a flight from Shannon or Cork. Myself and herself got a flight from Shannon a couple of years back. Having said that it was during the summer

:rollseyes:

You’re worse than @Horsebox for spoofing

No. Very very limited options from either place.
I think there was one flight but it’s sold out months ago.

Sigh

The budget will be blown on the stag. An early season trip to Anfield to watch the champions elect and the greatest manager in the world Herr Klopp.

On my own at the moment, been on the road for 6 weeks now. Had an chance to travel due to a career move, so took the opportunity and handed in my notice early so I could get a decent break.

Colombia is great, one of the nicest countries I’ve been to. Cartagena is brilliant, especially the old walled city. Not sure if it fits ye’re ideal honeymoon destination, but I’d say there are plenty of great spots along the Carribbean coast. The water is warm and the sand is perfect, the better beaches being outside Cartagena. The old city is like something out of a pirate story, and the Getsemani neighbourhood is great too, very cultural and the best restaraunts are there. If you do decide to stay in Cartagena, I’d stay in the walled city or Bocagrande, which makes up for its touristy vibe by being central and having a great selection of hotels.

Medellin was unreal too, completely different type of place. Very relaxed city, with plenty of cool cafes, shops and bars. What the city lacks in major landmarks and attractions it has double in character and charm. They have a brilliant metro system which makes getting around a doddle, super cheap too. El Poblado is the best neighbourhood to stay in. There’s a coffee shop there called Pergamino, the coffee there is absolutely out of this world, definitely worth at least one visit. If you read up on Medellin, one of the things all the travel guides mention is Parque Arvi, a nature park in the hills above the city - being honest, I found it a bit of a waste, its too spread out to get to see much and the buses that take people around are a disaster. I’d recommend a day trip to Guatape, which is a lakeside town about 3 hours away. You can climb the giant Peñol rock there for views over the lake, take a cruise out to Escobar’s mansion and get a better feel for the country by stopping off in the small towns on the way.

I’ve arrived in Buenos Aires now for the week, heading to La Bombonera to see Boca Juniors play tomorrow evening, giddy doesn’t even cover it.

27 Likes

sounds good. have you any spanish or would you need it in both countries? are you coked to the gills?

2 Likes

Ah jaysus Blake, you have a lovely way about it you when it comes to making a fella jealous.

That sounds very enjoyable, Ewan. Stay off the Twitter and don’t ruin it.

Be sure to get a terrace ticket for behind the goals and get in at least 30 mins before kick off. Throw a boca scarf around your neck and you’ll be grand.
It’s one of the greatest sporting experiences there is.

2 Likes

My next door neighbour worked in cartagena for 9 months a couple of years back. He said security was a big issue and did not travel at all. Mind you he was working for an American company refurbishing an oil refinery and had no Spanish. He did say the old city was worth seeing.
Is security really much of an issue there?

Unrale.

BA is some party town… As Big Phil said, Boca is something else… Leave all jewelry/ watches at home.

I hadn’t slept in three days when I made it to the La Bombonera :mask: It was something else tho— I’ll never forget the stench of piss leaving the place as the away fans wreck the place as they are ‘evacuated’ first and you have to leave smelling their piss. Are you gonna take in a River game also?

:brendan: :brendanback: :ronnyroar:

Spanish isn’t great, but I’ve had enough to get by. Wouldn’t be into coke, though its not for a lack of being offered, its all over the place, La Paz being the most powdered.

1 Like

Yeah, I was behind the goal, above the Barras Bravas. What a sensational experience, the constant noise was unbelievable. The surge and explosion of sound when Boca scored was unreal, the concrete was shaking.

They conceded in injury time to finish one all, the arguing and debate of the crowd walking out was great to observe, they’re top of the league but you’d swear they were teetering on relegation such was the level of seethingness.

3 Likes

I didn’t have any issues and never felt in danger, there was a constant police presence about the place. Obviously an extended stay living there would give you a different perspective, but apparently the place has come on leaps and bounds in the last few years so maybe things are different. There are certain areas like the slums at the back of the Marbella area that are no go, but that isn’t much different to most destinations.

The Americans are still very cagey about the place alright, the state dept still maintains that no travelling should be done over land, air only.

1 Like

Unfortunately River aren’t playing till Sunday, and I’m leaving for the Iguazu Falls on Saturday, so its a non-runner.

Away fans are banned in Argentina now, too much violence in the past. There was an incident last week during the Cordoba derby between Belgrano and Talleres, two Belgrano fans got into an argument in the upper deck, one of them shouts up to the rest of the crowd that the other guy was a Talleres fan. The crowd mobbed on top of your man and threw him off the edge of the upper deck, he died the day after. Mental shit.

Iguazu falls is amazing, bro. How long are you staying there? 1.5 to 2 days is loads. Fuck all to do in the town. Stay in the Argentina side if you haven’t already booked accommodation. Full day for the Argentina side and 3 or 4 hours for the Brazilian side.

1 Like

One day on each side, then on to Rio. What’s the story with getting to the falls, are they far from the town?

Buses go every half hour or so. Less than an hour to both. You could get a taxi if there’s a few of ye.

There’s a few really good restaurants on the street that the bus station is on. Ye should eat there down head further down the town towards the market area and there are a few bars down that way with a bit of life. Lots of dirt poor Paraguayans hanging around the streets but it is very safe.