Home brewing beer

Throw a few Disprins into it, like Sparklin Larkin :rofl:

4 Likes

This beast finally stopped fermenting today after 5 weeks. I’d say its alive with alcohol. I’ll give it a couple of days to make sure it stopped then I’ll double hop it and bottle it.

3 Likes

My American ale has turned out lovely but I’d a bottle of it last night that blew the head clane of me. There was a lot of sediment at the bottom of it which I think was the problem, must have been from the arse of the bucket. Do you have a filter? I must invest

1 Like

I don’t.

I know nothing about brewing but lots of Belgian beers have that, are you sure it’s not the yeast?

I remember in a Belgian bar one time a waiter pouring the beer into the glass and he poured it slowly and the sediment at the end into a separate glass to taste separately like a shot of a more intense version of the beer.

Ya its supposed to be in it, but I think filtering a bit out of it would help

That’s why the Erdinger glass is curved. To naturally catch the sediment at the end.

A few pints of 'dinger be grand sahn

The hops are in and I’m gathering up the bottles and cleaning them. I’m headbottlewasher in this operation.

Bottled this stuff last night. Took one hour and forty minutes to complete the process. The advertised 23 litres ended up at 17 litres to avoid bottling large quantities of sediment. It got a bit frothy when I added sugar to the bottles so I wouldn’t be surprised if I had an explosion or two yet.

2 Likes

We’ll live in hope that Howth shall finally become an island.

Once it’s in the bottles and not your underpants as you walk around Supervalu you’ll take that

Couple of helpful little tips for fellow home brewers.

1 Bottle at least one beer into a clear bottle. That way you will get some indication as to how the beer is clearing.
2 Bottle at least one beer into a plastic PET bottle. These bottles expand as carbonation progresses so by pressing the bottles you will get an early indication of carbonation.

4 Likes

Had a trial bottle of this tonight. I’d say this will need a few months to mature and round out. My Brixometer suggests that this is north of 6% abv but it is currently devoid of flavour/immediacy. Carbonation good.

1 Like

Those look interesting.

Selling directly.

2 Likes

We go again. An IPA this time. Kit came with brewing sugar but I left that out and used a mix of spray malt and raw honey from Waterford. We’ll see how it goes. Base kit suggested an ABV of 5% or so. The spraymalt should increase that a bit and who knows what the honey will do.

2 Likes