Home brewing beer

A friend of mine posted a video of using a jewellery cleaner machine to put a head on a flat pint of Guinness stout. It was magical looking and kept a big creamy head on it all the way to the end. I wonder would it work on your stout.

Those videos have been doing the rounds for the last few weeks…looks class in fairness

You wouldn’t get much of a head on bottled stout ever unless you poured it wrong.

Yes it’s very interesting. He’s a very good writer.

1 Like

Who or what would you recommend for a first go… I had a quick look the other day and starter kits varied from 60euro to 200+ … I’d like to give an ale a go but not too bothered as I drink everything and anything.

Homebrew.ie or Homebrewwest. Homebrew.ie don’t seem to have much in stock at the moment.

I tried this one before and it turned out well.

1 Like

I saw that one alright … I’ll give it a rattle, sound.

1 Like

That won’t come with the bucket etc

Talk to me kid…

You need two fermenting buckets (one with a tap) a siphon, a paddle, bottles and caps, a capper, sterilizing fluid and a thermometer is handy. Most suppliers will do all that for you in a reasonably priced job lot.

1 Like

You’ll need something like this

1 Like

Before we know it @Fagan_ODowd will be advertising on-line home brewing courses at €300 per project. This will turn into a giant pyramid scheme with him presiding.

He is already selling to hipsters

1 Like

Not at all. Homebrew is a piece of piss. The big lesson to remember is to sanitize sanitize sanitize

1 Like

First of the new batch cc @Fagan_ODowd. Needs another few days I reckon no great pop when the bottle opened so maybe the sugar isn’t finished doing its job or else the bottle didn’t seal 100%.

I’ve high hopes for this batch. I was much more scientific with measurements and timing etc.

It actually tastes lovely. Just lacking a bit of fizz

7 Likes

That looks good. Summer Ale is it?

An “American Pale Ale”

Like a Sierra Nevada type.

To my taste a lot of craft beer is lacking in fizz so I’d say you probably got this right.

2 Likes

Ya I don’t find much difference in APA to IPA to be honest theres good and bad of both. IPA is supposed to be more hoppy but again that depends on the brewery as much as anything