How long more are we going to have to wait for the banks to be filleted?

Nice of the state to fund these professional qualifications for what are in effect public sector workers now.

Heard a good one about AIB staff recently, over here on a ‘career break’ for the last couple of years. Now heading back for a month or so in order for them to qualify for redundancy payments. It isnt just the banking arm of the public sector that get this perk though, full time teachers can go on a ‘career break’ for is it 3 years with their job being kept for them at home while they head off.

Ah its a great little country all the same

Considering they work for what is an utterly insolvent entity it’s ridiculous that they feel they should get a bonus. If they worked for any company other than a bailed-out bank they’d be out of work three years now, never mind get a bonus.

[quote=“SHANNONSIDER, post: 535448”]

Considering they work for what is an utterly insolvent entity it’s ridiculous that they feel they should get a bonus. If they worked for any company other than a bailed-out bank they’d be out of work three years now, never mind get a bonus.
[/quote]Balls. They work for a state owned entity.

It is amazing that the same lads who doff their caps at a tax exile excoriate good decent taxpaying Irish workers for sticking up for their rights. This pair Mac and SS are like the spawn of William Martin Murphy.

You do realise that in most cases these are women who chose to take a career break so as to rear a young family. If these career breaks did not exist, you would have less female teachers. You were the one claiming on another thread what a valuable impact women have in the workplace!

Think a lot of AIB staff were even paid a lump sum as an incentive to take the career break, the rationale being that it was cheaper than having them drawing full salary with little to do

Ones over here arent rearing young families anyway but I’m sure you have stats to back up the most cases thing.

If someone wants to take 3 years off then they should go to the back of the queue not have a job lined up to walk back to. Especially when there is a surplus of newly qualified teachers looking for jobs.

The majority of mothers in the workplace get maternity leave. But jobs held for years on end, now that is ridiculous.

I have been in my own school 10 years, and in that time there has been 5 career breaks. In all cases these have been women.

If you were based in Dublin and were teaching, you could easily see how these women take career breaks given the considerable cost of creches in the city.

Those on career breaks lose incremental credit which impacts on rates of pay and pension entitlements when they return to teaching.

If you really think it is easy to return to the classroom after a career break you are not living in the real world. It is very difficult for teachers today to establish classroom discipline given the diverse nature of the student population and changing family status.

KIB man in another anti family post

KIB going on the kev-esque rant based on a couple of people he met on holidays.

Yes but why tell them two weeks ago they were getting it, then management telling them to fuck off?
Maybe if the management didn’t take their bonus it might be a bit more platable?

Most people on the front line in the banks are on shit money and are on the receiving end of all the abuse from customers.

I would imagine that is the crux of the problem. It is real poor leadership by those at the top.

I hadn’t realised that bit. Only saw your posts on it now. Sounds very odd to be honest. But anyone working in a state-owned bank or institution at the moment that either gets paid a bonus or expects to be paid a bonus should be ashamed of themselves.

[quote=“Mac, post: 535459”]

I hadn’t realised that bit. Only saw your posts on it now. Sounds very odd to be honest. But anyone working in a state-owned bank or institution at the moment that either gets paid a bonus or expects to be paid a bonus should be ashamed of themselves.
[/quote]Bullshit. No matter how hard you work or what results you deliver you shouldn’t get a bonus? How do you propose to incentivise people?

The very fact that they still have a job should be incentive enough for them.

[quote=“Mac, post: 535461”]

The very fact that they still have a job should be incentive enough for them.
[/quote]Stupid talk. That kind of attitude will keep us in the mire.

So we should continue to piss money away on the institutions that we’ve already ploughed billions into? You’re a banker then I take it Fagan?

[quote=“Mac, post: 535463”]

So we should continue to piss money away on the institutions that we’ve already ploughed billions into? You’re a banker then I take it Fagan?
[/quote]No I am not. I am realist. If you don’t incentivize people they tend to punch the clock and do fuck all.

You can incentivise them with more than money. I’d be fairly sure a lot of these people (not just EBS staff) got paid bonuses for punching the clock and doing fuck all anyway.

Reading up on this EBS thing I may have to retract my earlier rant at the lower paid staff and call the management a bunch of thieving cunts

Just to set the record straight on this one, the press and Senior Management of EBS have totally misquoted the terms of the EBS employees contracts, it is not a bonus that they were entitled too it was savings.
Each month they had a percentage of their salary deducted by payroll and put aside as savings, they were entitled to get this lump sum back in December, it was up to each individual whether they signed up to the savings scheme and the amount which they contributed.

If that’s true I wouldn’t blame them for striking.